Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Steve Donahue's assessment
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
11-20-17 09:02 AM - Post#236974    
    In response to Streamers

Penn is currently allowing its opponents to hit 17% of its threes. That's insane and will not sustain. So, rather than look at the defense with that anomaly baked in, you can leverage expected points per shot (XPPS) to understand what would happen in the long run given that shot selection.

The more important thing than the luck on oppt makes is that they're keeping opponents from shooting that shot (28% of all attempts this year; 40% last year).

I don't have my XPPS numbers in front of me, but I'd wager that Penn's defense so far grades out as a bit better than average - somewhere in line with where it was last year. It is getting there, though, in a much more aesthetically pleasing way - more pressure in man defense scaring shooters off the line and forcing more TOs but yielding more action at the rim versus last year when the zone yielded a ton of threes that oppts hit at high rates.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.013 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:50 PM