Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Fordham
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-07-17 11:52 AM - Post#239479    
    In response to mrjames

Although our discontent has been temporarily quelled by Seth's game saving shot, it was definitely a tough win over Fordham.

Thanks for the spot on analysis and Shout Out '84. Although it was my son who mused that after a 1-19 long distance shooting disaster that it would be ironic for Harvard to win on a three. I noted that we should expect Fordham to clog the lane and force Harvard to chuck up another three. That's exactly what happened. Fordham's wing on the zone collapsed into the lane when Bryce drove the lane leaving Seth open. Bryce - nice job in spotting Seth. There was no way the refs last night were going to give Harvard the game by sending you to the line.

Key points I would like to add:
- Fordham's zone frustrated Harvard. Fordham overplayed the perimeter passing lanes, making both ball movement and three point shooting difficult
- Harvard's defense really stepped it up in the second half, holding Fordham to 16 points. Chris Lewis was phenomenal, and Djuricic played as the backup center down the stretch.
- I'd expect Egi and McCarthy - as well as Baker and of course Bassey - to be part of a 10 man rotation. Missing 4 (2 of them all season thus far) is not good for many reasons.
- 3 point shooting: 10% last night, 27.9% on the season! Only Seth (46.7%) and Corey (33.3%) shooting above 25%!
- Fordham utilized a Princeton tactic of not pursuing offensive rebounds so it could get back quickly, set the zone, and avoid any transition baskets.
- Fordham double and even triple teamed Chris Lewis, and the refs weren't calling anything.

Opposition strategy is obvious. Stop the transition, force Harvard into a bogged down halfcourt game, overplay the wings and collapse on Chris. It's up to Harvard to reverse the ball and hit the three's. I will say that Harvard did adjust and had open looks at the elbow and, near the end, off ball cutting to the hoop. That and a stifling defense is what won this game.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.32 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:15 AM