Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 2018 Ivy Tournament Back At The Palestra
TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-21-17 12:24 PM - Post#240938    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
That’s blind to the realities. Other than Penn fans and possibly Princeton fans, Mohegan Sun is more convenient for the six other schools - that’s over 75% of the fans. Had Penn not made the tournament the Palestra would have seemed empty.

Reality is that Mohegan Sun is more convenient to only 4 of the schools (Columbia and I think also Cornell is closer to Philly). The rest of your points are highly speculative.

A big reason for the tournament is to market the league to a national audience. I don't think a Mohegan Sun tournament is the best way to do that - and that's a minus for having a tournament there.

I don't think there's an optimal solution. It's part of the reason why The Palestra will be the host again. All choices - Palestra, host at #1 seed, Mohegan Sun, Bridgeport, etc. - have their flaws. I think the best approach is a tournament that rotates among several host arenas meeting certain criteria - being able to seat at least 4-5K, adequate accessibility to hotels, reasonably located.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.156 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:22 AM