Username Post: At Lafayette
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
01-09-18 10:04 PM - Post#242826    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
137 - I realize you have qualified your post by saying 1-4 seconds. The distinction I see is that LU was out of TO"s. I don't think it was appealing for ND to stop the clock for them under any circumstance. There are two dangers; one, he sees the wrap up coming, shoots at the same time and the ref gives them the homer call that he drew the foul in the act. Two, he converts the two FT's and you can't inbound in 5 ticks and the holocaust outcome changes from OT to a potential loss. Imagine the Tuesday morning QBing on that! The really uncanny thing was it was a replay of the HC action when we were forced into OT at Sojka in the PL. Tough call either way...damned if you do

First, to set the stage: Lafayette still had one timeout left. Each team gets one timeout added for the OT. Bucknell at that point had three timeouts left.

Your first scenario is why I said there were two specific opportunities to foul when they couldn't take a shot, i.e. first when LC was grabbing the rebound facing away from the basket; and secondly, when Petrie was in the middle of a dribble with the ball not in his hand. However if you foul when they are inside the arc - as was the case just after the rebound - it is fine as long as they don't have a makeable shot.

As for the second scenario, two comments: First, Bucknell has been very good inbounding the ball against the press this year; Second, BU had timeouts left, so they would be able to draw up an inbound play; and third, if they got in trouble on the inbound, they could take another timeout. (And even another one.) Or they would just have to lob a high pass past midcourt. The odds of LC intercepting a pass 50 feet from the basket and immediately releasing a successfull shot is remote.

I'll just repeat that virtually every NBA team fouls in that situation once the clock is down to five or fewer seconds. Stan Van Gundy says the magic number is six seconds. Phil Jackson says it is five seconds. But for virtually every coach, it is no less than four seconds.

Two other factors are (a) the foul must be committed when the other team has no chance to launch a three as the foul occurs; and (b) your team must have competent rebounders in the two interior spots on the free throws. Bucknell has two of the league's top three rebounders.

Btw, I'm told that BU wanted to foul Champion intentionally when he corralled the airball, but no-one was able to get to him.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.193 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:07 AM