Username Post: Max’s stats
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
01-19-18 09:07 AM - Post#243950    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Quote:
I am also in the club of not knowing the details of ORat and DRat. I understand your points about things a defense controls (steals and blocks). I don't think those stats really capture the full picture on defense. For example, a player could theoretically be really good at staying in front of the player he's guarding and pressuring their shot. He/she could hold them scoreless but still not have a block or steal to their credit. Would this result in a good DRat?

Yes. The opponents would get zero points for those possessions, which would lower the opponents' overall points per possessions, which is what defensive rating is.

I'm just giving you the baseline information. You can certainly make arguments that your team is resistant to these empirical results. Sort of like beating Vegas - lots of folks can make up narratives for why they have an edge, but few actually end up manifestly proving it. Just want you to know what you're up against.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.425 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:41 AM