Username Post: Yale
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-27-18 01:24 PM - Post#244778    
    In response to digamma

Penetration. That's what's missing.

As someone noted in this thread earlier, Yale penetrated then passed out for open 3's - they just weren't falling last night. Harvard's current guards not really a threats to break down the defense and take the ball all the way to the hoop. That is a strength of Bryce's, and it was even more a talent of Siyani, who would be looking for the open man on his penetrations. I'm sure we all have memories of Siyani dribbing just inside the foul line - head on a pivot - as he eschewed the open shot in favor of looking for a teammate or even dribbling back outside and starting all over again.

Opponents can overplay Juzang, Johnson and Bassey knowing that it is possible they'll turn the ball over on the drive rather than finish at the rim. That translates into forced 3 point attempts and a stagnant offense as the Crimson resort to passing the ball around the perimeter.

That's where a healthy Bryce makes a big difference, but he's still a shoot first scorer. Haskett is willing to go to the hoop, but the efficiency and passing aren't there yet. This is why I think Tommy McCarthy is missed as well. He is a better passer and penetrator because I recall he maintains control and is a bit more comfortable than Juzang and Haskett. He's also a good 3 point shooter.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether Harvard's poor 3 pt shooting is due to a lack of situations where the shooter receives the ball, facing the basket and with time to set himself. Johnson has been heaving up some deep 3's and Bassey is a good shooter, but he needs to set his feet in his unique shooting style.

Combine lack of transition with lack of effective penetration, and you are left with a predictable and stagnant offense.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 01-27-18 01:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.232 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:18 AM