Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: POY discussion
PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
02-19-18 03:43 PM - Post#248621    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
That's a really, really good summary of where we stand. I've been giving a little thought to this as well, and here's my thinking at the moment:

In the past, it seems that three things have held true: 1) Ivy play matters more than non-conference; 2) offense is considered more than defense and 3) how your team does (and how you help make your team better) matters.

In that vein, my All-Ivy first team comes down to:

1) Towns - a ridiculous 109 ORAT on 31% usage in Ivy play and has upped his mins load to 79%.
2) Brodeur - Silently has four KP game MVPs in Ivy play. Has also upped his usage to 24% in league play with a 107 ORAT. Has looked amazing recently.
3) Cambridge - Possibly injured this past weekend, hurting the efficiency of his production, but he's scored in double-digits in every Ivy game, and his five-game stretch earlier in the Ivy campaign would be hard for anyone to match. Also an underrated defender.
4) Lewis - Knock is that foul trouble has kept him from playing a ton of minutes (63% team mins). He's also been neutralized by some teams. But if 1st team guys are ones that force you to play your game differently to account for them, he's one of those players. Also, defense would be a big consideration here.
5) Cannady - Playing 90% of team minutes, with a 109 ORAT on a 23% usage/26% shot rate. He's had a lot of big nights, and he's one where the non-conf could help him.
6) Morgan - Three KP game MVPs in Ivy play. Typical strong, efficient production. But does Cornell really deserve a first-teamer.
7) Betley - Very good shooter and very good player. With all the great choices out there, though, I find it hard to believe that a player with an 18% usage rate (who hasn't topped 24% in ANY Ivy game) would make it. Now, if Penn wins the title, I think they'll get two first teamers and he'd be the other.
8) Gettings - 106 ORAT on 30% usage in Ivy play. Has scored over 20 in seven Ivy games ALL of which came with an ORAT over 100. But I see him as behind Morgan, and Cornell certainly isn't getting two.
9) Smith - Has been strong in Ivy play (104 ORAT on 28% usage), but much like the Cornell guys... I don't see there being a spot on the 1st team for a Columbia guy.

Round out 2nd Team/HM: Brandon Anderson, Justin Bassey (DPOY), Alex Copeland, Taylor Johnson, Myles Stephens, Quinton Adlesh

I think POY should come down to Towns and Brodeur and, at the moment, I'd feel pretty good if the outright title winner took it. If there's a tie, I think I'd lean Towns at the moment, but there's still four games to play including a spotlight one at Penn next weekend.

This is a great summary. This seems right to me.

I would pick Towns today, simply because he has been the most consistent.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.193 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:09 PM