dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
02-28-18 01:26 AM - Post#249800    
    In response to Old Bear

• Old Bear Said:
Are Ivy Athletics played for the players for the fans? Let's pole the players about the ILT.

1.) Intercollegiate athletics are by definition played for the fans. If the only goal is to provide fun for the players, that can be done with intramurals at considerably less cost and effect on studies. If a school is sponsoring a intercollegiate sport, the primary reason for doing that is because they feel that the college community (and at the bigger colleges in the bigger sports, the community at large) will derive pride and happiness from it. I grant that the truth of this assumption is questionable in many sports, but that doesn't change the fact that that is the motivation.
2.) If there is anything that the Ivies stand for, it is that the inmates do not run the asylum. I'm sure that the players would also like to play eighty games a year, not have to take classes on game days, etc. While I am not completely adverse to considering the players' feelings, in the end, they do not rule the day and never will.
3.) I'll make you a deal, Old Bear; you can ask that question, if in turn I can ask the following:

On a scale of 1-100, rank the importance of each of the following factors to your decision to attend your school:
--Get along well with coach
--Get along well with other players
--Likelihood of playing
--Likelihood of starting
--Likelihood of playing on a winning team.
--Likelihood of making the pros.
--Likelihood of getting a good job when my athletic career ends.
--Overall academic quality of the institution.
--Academic quality of the institution in the fields I am interested in.
--Campus social life.
--Academic setting (i.e., small liberal arts college, large research university) suits my needs/interests/psyche.
--Location/activities in area.
--League has tournament.

I guarantee you that out of that list, "League has tournament" will finish no better than next to last, and the score will be no higher than 3. Frankly, "number of people on campus I find sexually attractive" probably would beat out tournament for most, and it certainly wouldn't be far behind.

I would also argue that if the coach thinks something is important, the players he recruits are likely to agree with him in public, regardless of what their actual opinions are.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.561 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:47 AM