Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Just how good has this season been for the men and the women
LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
03-04-18 10:07 PM - Post#250844    
    In response to JDP

• JDP Said:

Wow ... it's also been 25 years since the championship break through by Jerome & Co and a certain volunteer assistant ... that blizzard and snow pile en route to Syracuse was legendary ... so was the six hours of silence in that car ride home ...

I made that round trip drive to Syracuse in a 5 speed VW Scirocco with Palestra38 and a couple other fans aboard. As the only one who knew how to drive a stick, I had to do all the driving. We had about a foot of snow on the ground here, but there were 3-4 feet in Syracuse. The mountains of plowed snow were so high you (I, really) couldn't see around the corner when making turns.

I don't remember it being a particularly quiet or depressing ride home. We gave national contenders UMass all they could handle and had a couple of chances to steal the game. Maloney threw up one of his post season stinkers (4-18 or something like that). It wouldn't be his only one, as it turns out. Despite that, our core was made up of sophomores and a junior who would continue the undefeated streak for two more years.

The next year P38 drove to Nassau Coliseum for the victory over Big8 Champs Nebraska, but his car died on the way back to Philly. Despite all the attention given to the Allen-Maloney backcourt, Barry Pierce showed that he was the guts of that team. We returned for the second round two days later where we scared Final Four bound Florida until the final minutes. Again, an ice cold Maloney was more than we could overcome.

Those 14-0 Ivy teams, along with the following year's squad that went to overtime with Alabama in Baltimore thanks to Jerome's 30 point effort, were legitimate league champs whose banners now grace the Palestra. Let's hope this year's team can take care of business next weekend and add another legitimate banner.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.118 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:33 AM