Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy League Champs!
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
03-05-18 10:53 AM - Post#250883    
    In response to 10Q

Actually not liking it is a form of resistance and we have had posters on this site brag about boycotting it.

The ILT is an important step forward and represents one of the essential steps the league needed to take to remain somewhat relevant in D1 basketball. Clearly there were other options like taking a step backwards, as football had done. We chose not to do that, so in my mind that's a positive and I embrace all steps to move forward, not backwards.

I'm not one who thinks that the league is there yet. I realize that we have faux scholarships for a segment of the player pool with more generous fin aid packages (which helps), but they are not the same as full scholarships. Just watching as much college basketball as I tend to do, I'm not as optimistic as Mike James is about the upward trajectory of the league. I don't think it matters whether our league is ranked 12th one year or 14th the next. We are what we are and that's ok for now.

But having followed this board for so many years I've questioned the judgement of many older posters whom I would describe as the traditionalists. So many fought the idea of an ILT for years with off the wall, specious arguments. It used to drive me nuts. I remember the outrage when they put the new scoreboards in. And now - bitching and moaning about the halftime entertainment by some.

The world has changed. I think older alums like many of us need to recognize that what younger people like is not always what we like, from dining choices, to music and certainly when it comes to sports entertainment. We are not the target market for much these days. Even at Penn you can see how much the younger parents with kids at our games love that video scoreboard.

How many of our kids are more interested in fantasy football leagues than the real games. Our kids watch their phones, ipads or red zone instead of the games. That's reality and to fight it is a swim upstream against a very strong tide moving in the opposite direction.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.265 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:58 PM