Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: All-Ivy Picks
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-07-18 03:20 PM - Post#251268    
    In response to rbg

Women's All-Ivy was released early this afternoon

http://ivyleaguesports.com/news/2018/3/7/womens- ba...

Player of the Year: Bella Alarie (Princeton)
Defensive Player of the Year: Tamara Simpson (Yale) - second straight year winning this award
Rookie of the Year: Eleah Parker (Penn) - unanimous selection
Coach of the Year: Courtney Banghart (Princeton)

First Team (Expanded due to ties in voting):
Bella Alarie (Princeton)
Katie Benzan (Harvard) - unanimous selection
Jen Berkowitz (Yale)
Michelle Nwokedi (Penn)
Leslie Robinson (Princeton)
Camille Zimmerman (Columbia)

Second Team (Expanded due to ties in voting):
Jeannie Boehm (Harvard)
Kate Letkiewicz (Dartmouth)
Shayna Mehta (Brown)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Taylor Rooks (Harvard)
Anna Ross (Penn)
Tamara Simpson (Yale)

Honorable Mention:
Justine Gaziano (Brown)
Roxy Barahman (Yale)

Not much to argue with that expanded list.

I understand why Courtney Banghart won the Coach of the Year Award, but I'm disappointed that Coach Koclanes or Coach Guth did not win it. Princeton brought a very good team into the season, and although picked as the #2 team, it was only by nine points over Penn. She also had two of the league's best players and a very good recruiting class.

Coach Koclanes took a team that finished 3-11 (8-19) to 7-7 (15-12) with wins over Vermont, BC, New Hampshire, Colorado (road), Holy Cross (road), Harvard and Yale (road). Her team was picked a distant 8th this year and she managed to exceed expectations while giving the reigns to a junior point guard with limited experience.

Coach Guth's team finished in 6th place last year, but finished the season strong. They were also the only team to beat Penn last year. This year, they did return Berkowitz and Simpson, but they had to incorporate a number of inexperienced sophomores and first-years. They had good wins over TCU (road), Princeton and Harvard, while almost beating Kansas and Indiana. They ended the year as the #4 team in the Tournament.

While Brown's surprising collapsed following Taylor Will's injury may have given new life to Yale and Dartmouth, both coaches did a lot with more limited rosters than the Tigers. Last year Sarah Behn exceeded expectations with a inexperienced Bears' team, but Mike McLaughlin won the award. It seems really difficult for the other 5 coaches to break into the top 3 in terms of records and recognition.

I actually made a mistake in my list and should have placed Taylor Rooks as a 2nd team member. I was surprised to see Jeannie Boehm as a second team member. She is a very good player and her recovery from a knee injury late in the Penn game was a big part of their subsequent sweep of Penn & Princeton a few weeks later. I just thought that Rooks was the better and more consistent front court player and I thought Sydney Skinner would get more support.

I also thought that Justine Gaziano was ahead of Shayna Mehta. Both are big time scorers, but Mehta's efficiency suffered after Taylor Will suffered her season ending knee injury.

In the end, all were deserving recipients and there were even a few more good players who did not make it onto the list.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.324 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:37 AM