Username Post: Bracketology watch
Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
Reg: 11-23-04
03-10-18 10:12 PM - Post#251770    
    In response to bradley

The REAL tangible benefit is that the entire league now plays meaningful games in February as opposed to 3/4 of the league just playing out the last half of the season. Did you see the video of how excited the Cornell team was after they found out that they made the tournament when Yale beat Princeton last week? Sure Cornell had little chance of beating Harvard, but that video alone should end all arguments about the tournament. Perhaps you forget that Ivy sports are suppose to be about the student-athletes themselves and not the fans.

• bradley Said:
I remember that one of the arguing points of the IvyMadness was that it would increase fan interest. As you point out, at least so far, that assertion has not occurred. The other arguing points, i.e. two bids, assist recruiting, keep all teams playing hard to the end of the season, etc. etc. are simply subjective or inaccurate although in fairness, we should know better after five years of IvyMadness.

So far, the only "real" tanggible benefit was that the Tigers got a #12 vs. #13 seed last year in all likelihood. This year, there is a possibility that IL Women will get 2 bids if the Tigers get knocked out although the Tigers will drop from a projected #12 seed if they lose in IvyMadness. It would be enlightening if a supporter of IvyMadness could provide a "real" tangible benefit so far besides the above rather than mumbo jumbo. I guess that one could argue that the enthusiasm of Quaker and Lion fans last year on this web site for the 4th seed could be an arguement although I am not sure if the school communities really cared last year. This year, nobody was getting too worked up about being a 4th seed especially Tiger fans.

Someone criticized Banghart for her comments about the Tournament. Perhaps, she simply has not been drinking the Koolaid.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.133 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:17 PM