Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Can we talk about Home Court Advantage?
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-13-18 09:46 AM - Post#252671    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

I too am a Penn/Columbia grad, although my fandom is pretty much 100% Penn (I do root for CU against everyone else). The arguments being made are all legitimate. The most essential test of our best team is over 14 games, and it fits with the Ivy ideal. That being said, there is a tournament and it is designed to showcase the League. No, it is not fair that Penn gets a home court advantage, and there is little doubt it is an advantage in the tournament, as the last 2 years have shown. But there is no other arena which provides the show--I was listening to Freddie Coleman last night on ESPN Radio and he was singing the praises of the Ivy tournament at the Palestra (and said the Penn-Kansas game would be close). You're not going to promote the brand nearly as well anywhere else, plus, other than Princeton, there is no other Ivy arena that can handle it. So do we pay a lot of money to host the tournament in a 3rd party site, hoping (as HarvardGrad suggests) that a tournament in a place like Foxwoods would garner large socializing crowds of Ivy-ites in a giant Kumbaya? It makes no business sense at all, since there is insufficient planning time once the seeds are set to get people to make plans and block rooms at a cost that will get people to come. Perhaps Alumni Hall at St John's would work, even though it is another school's home arena and there really is no place to stay there for those travelling (the argument that there is no place to stay near the Palestra is ridiculous--there are 8000 hotel rooms within 2 miles).

But I realize it isn't fair to keep it at the Palestra---will the Ivy Presidents be willing to absorb the very substantial costs of holding it elsewhere?
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.258 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:35 AM