Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: NIT
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-15-18 08:55 AM - Post#253175    
    In response to mrjames

It will be interesting to see how the mix comes together. I assume your view is that Lewis and Bassey are the returning starters? Who would be the 2 who stick in the top 8? Johnson and Djuricic? I really like Juzang and think his play was a big part of the story of Harvard’s strong play in conference. Doesn’t mean he has to play next year, but I think he should somehow.

On the earlier comment about lack of ball movement without Towns, I actually like the movement better. Bassey creates for shooters (though he turned it over way too much last night). With Towns, it sometimes feels like everybody stands around because Seth can shoot it over guys when he isn’t open. The game becomes purely how to isolate Towns and Lewis.

Which brings me to Amaker as a coach. It isn’t necessarily rocket science how you get a big guy posted up, but Harvard does a very nice job of moving the ball to get Lewis chances where he is hard to double. It’s not necessarily in game adjustments, but it is coaching. And last night, he certainly made adjustments in the 4th quarter (sounds weird) that seemed to work.

His reputation as a poor game coach may partially be that he was a comparatively weak game coach at the highest level. I don’t think he is a poor game coach at our level. I also think, as we’ve seen with Donahue becoming a defensive coach, that coaches change over time. So that old narrative may have been true at the time, but may not be what Amaker is today.

We can talk about recruiting advantages or whatever, but when I look at Harvard I see decades of lousy basketball right up until Amaker walked in the door. I don’t see how we can say anything other than that Harvard (and the league generally) is lucky to have him, and he has done a tremendous job turning around the program. I think the level of coaching in our league right now is very high.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.66 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:32 AM