Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Wake the kids, phone the neighbors (UMBC!)
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-17-18 12:11 PM - Post#253606    
    In response to sparman

Yeah, it's complicated. There are, indeed, instances where a team that's pretty far behind in the conference doesn't actually land that much further down the S-Curve than the one that *should* have gone (e.g., Marshall as a 13-seed this year, far behind three better teams in its conference, but the best any of them would have done was likely a 12-seed anyway).

The UMBC example is actually the scenario that I hate most about conference tournaments. Many of you have heard this from me before, but I only feel bad for teams that are among the best 68 resumes in the country but lose in their conference tourney. Vermont was 61st in strength of record.

David Worlock admitted again this year that the committee looks at Bracket Matrix as a resource when making their selections. Insane level of groupthink (you can't look at data that itself is trying to predict what *you* do). Given that environment, it makes ZERO sense not to send your best team. I can't believe how horribly the committee has regressed in this regard over the course of this decade.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.123 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:41 AM