Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Morgan Declares for Draft
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
04-03-18 08:37 AM - Post#254695    
    In response to FlaQuaker

http://cornellsun.com/2018/04/02/junior-mat t-morga...

- Morgan said while he hopes to be drafted by an NBA team, he will return to Cornell for his senior season if he isn’t selected.

“I’m going into this process with the intention of getting selected to play for a NBA organization, but I don’t want to lose my last year of college if that opportunity isn’t there for me,” he said. -

Mountainred, I don't know if this comment give me hope as a Cornell or Ivy fan. Saying "I don't want to lose my last year of college ....." could mean not wanting to lose his last year of college eligibility. I think the author may be assuming Morgan's return to Cornell basketball for that final year if he does not stay in the NBA Draft.

I think I would feel a little better if the author asked him a more direct question and Morgan answered it in a more definitive way.

Here is a local NC paper's account of Morgan's more serious mindset heading into his second NBA Draft declaration:

http://www.independenttribune.com/sports/cox-mill-...

- This is the second year in a row that Morgan has declared for the draft. But unlike last year, when he withdrew his name from draft eligibility two weeks after declaring, the former Charger isn’t going into the process planning to return to the Ithaca, New York, campus.

“I think it’s a whole different situation for me personally,” Morgan said in a telephone interview with the Independent Tribune. “Last year, I think it was more of just getting my name out there, knowing I was going to come back but just letting people know that I’m serious about this and to take a look at me this season. But this year, I’m going into it with the intent to play at the next level if the opportunity presents itself.

“Yeah, this is a completely different feel and a completely different situation.”

Morgan has not hired an agent, meaning that he still has the ability to withdraw from the draft and go back to school. But he’s a lot more visible on NBA scouts’ radars this time around. -

- Per NCAA rules, NBA scouts couldn’t communicate directly with Morgan during the college season, but he said some of them called Cornell coach Brian Earl and even came to see him play. At this stage, Morgan said, he hasn’t heard what round he could possibly be drafted.

But unlike last year, when his announcement came several weeks after the season, Morgan made his intentions known early.

“I’m going to stay with the process as long as possible,” he said. “I’m going into this with the mindset that I want to play in the NBA, I want to get drafted. And if the opportunity presents itself, I’m going to take it. But until that point, I’m going to keep my options open.”

For now, there isn’t much that Morgan can do except work out on the court and in the weight room. He hopes to receive an invitation to the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, which begins on May 16. -
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.368 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:04 AM