Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Next season
CUBballFan 
Freshman

Loc: East Coast
Reg: 04-23-18
05-04-18 11:35 AM - Post#256416    
    In response to cc66

I respect much of what you say cc66, but I am not sure I understand the "inflated sense of potential" comment. The general consensus seems to be that all three of those players you mentioned have clearly shown tremendous potential.

Hickman showed us his potential last year (not sure what happened this year), but some level in Europe is a possibility if he gets back to that form. I don't see EuroLeague level pro ball in his future (I hope I'm wrong and wish him well), but maybe one of the smaller leagues like Italy's Lega, France's LNB, or Adriatic..... Shooting 29% from 3 for a season can't continue though and he must dramatically improve his defense.

Faulds' potential is obvious, too. Just look at what he did, as an 18-year-old (which I didn't realize until recently), against some great competition early in the season: Villanova, Penn State, Boston College - not to mention the game he had at Albany. He was projected to be one of the top newcomers of the year in the Ivy for a reason. Obviously, that didn't pan out but (with inconsistent opportunities and, if true, an unhealthy environment) it doesn't mean it was because he has an inflated sense of potential. ESPN rated him as a 4*, Verbal Commits a 3*, Rivals a 3*; he was one of the top 5-7 players in Michigan's talented 2017 class, and he played in the Nike EYBL, and, collectively, that says alot about his potential. Rankings aren't always accurate, but if all of these respected basketball "experts" are saying the same thing and think highly of him, then they must see potential. I don't think the other schools who actively recruited him (Michigan, MSU, Northwestern, Stanford, Iowa, Clemson, Creighton, 6 other Ivies, and many others) misjudged his potential and I wouldn't be surprised if he does land at one of them. Remember, Faulds committed right before the last three national tourneys and that is when most players get a flurry of offers. With everything he's ever posted or mentioned in his interviews, playing time doesn't seem to be his number 1 consideration, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did land at a UM, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford, or one of several other schools that weren't able to offer in July of '16 because of his early commitment.

Hanson also showed us his potential in several games (Boston College and some league games). He had a handful of other mid-major options, just that we know of, who believe in his potential and would probably be happy to give him an opportunity in their program. It'll be interesting to see where he lands and how he develops. When playing free and confident, I love his the triple threat he presents to the defense - especially with his athleticism, height and ability to be a threat anywhere on the offensive end.

Besides the three players you mentioned, I'd like to also highlight what Tai Bibbs contributed earlier in the season (especially his good minutes against Nova and UConn). His performance during early season opportunities and his 27 other offers speak to his potential. His athleticism, hops, play making and finishing abilities, and other attributes make him a special player with tremendous potential. If we don't nurture those, some else will.

Stefanini showed moments of brilliance, too, (Albany, @ Penn, BC, and some league games). His potential was visible in his energy, hustle, and "craftiness" and, during spurts, he was our most impactful/best player on the court. His days at Bergen Catholic and his moments of game-changing ability here have positioned him to be an impactful player here next year - or elsewhere.

Last but not least, Smith has also shown us a tremendous amount of potential. If he can stay disciplined and under control (take good shots and not force things), and become more of a play maker for others first and scorer second - I believe he has the potential to be great.

So, in regards to any of these 5 young players having an inflated sense of potential, I respectfully disagree. I've heard nothing negative about these five (or our other players) along the lines of big egos. Actually, everything I've seen and heard about these five younger players (as well as Castlin, Tape, Hunter, Killingsworth, and all the freshman) is that they are all team players and do not have an inflated sense of self.

Contrary to an inflated sense of potential, each of these players has (publicly) displayed a very healthy self-confidence, self-esteem, and self-respect. They have also shown their true potential by balancing two full time jobs - the rigorous academics of CU and (at times) high-level basketball. As a result, I believe they have positioned themselves well and, if things don't improve from top down, other players (and new recruits) will also consider the plethora of options they have been presented with. The only individual in our program that has demonstrated an inflated sense of self over the past two years has been our HC and I am hoping that he has learned to check that at the front doors of Levien.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.291 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:55 AM