Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 2019 Ivy Tournament at Yale?
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
06-22-18 09:44 AM - Post#258143    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I posted a link to in-depth Crimson article on the renovation of Lavietes Pavilion at the Harvard board. I am placing it here, as well, since there is a part of the article that focuses on the Ivy Tournament.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/5/24/c18 -f...

- Another factor that may affect hopes at hosting larger competitions: seating capacity. The current renovated Lavietes Pavilion has downsized from around 2,050 to 1,636 seats in order to facilitate the inclusion of new amenities, such as cushioned seating in the upper rows. The renovated Lavietes Pavilion, with the smallest seating capacity in the Ivy League, now seats 464 fewer people than the next smallest Ancient Eight basketball facility, Dartmouth’s Leede Arena.

With the newly cemented Ivy League Tournament raising discussions about future host sites, the decision to downsize may significantly impact the odds of hosting this tournament on Harvard’s campus. The postseason tournament in its first two years of conception have been played inside the hallowed halls of the Palestra, which seats a maximum of 8,722 people. With the conference final between Harvard and Penn this past season filling around 5,500 seats, it would seem highly unlikely for Lavietes Pavilion to be able to fulfill attendance demand. This was one significant downside, according to Delaney-Smith, of the renovation proposal.

“The one consideration that was negative, was when talking about the Ivy Tournament, the capacity they want facilities to have in order to be a host school,” Delaney-Smith said. “I would say we fall short, and that is upsetting. I don’t know what [is] the right capacity we need to have.” -

It would be interesting to know if that quote from Coach Delaney-Smith came before or after the selection of Yale (2,800 seats) for next year's Tournament. If the league is sticking with conference sites and has gone to a much smaller venue for next year, it would be hard to think they will let a 1,600 seat arena stand in the way. If they did, then they would be avoiding 2 of the 8 schools (Harvard and Dartmouth). In leaving Harvard out of the mix, they would be giving up an event in the conference's third largest city and ticking off one of the most powerful/successful programs (for both men and women) in the league.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.3 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:34 AM