Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
07-27-18 01:04 PM - Post#259551    
    In response to Okoro Dude

I'll do a bit of armchair work here - but not exactly lawyering. Call it game theory. The way I see it, someone needs motivation to go after Allen. Accepting a bribe is certainly not kosher whether it is a misdemeanor or criminal level offense. The local or federal prosecutors may have motivation to chase this down, but I doubt they would bother because the victim isn't clear - unless they need Allen as a witness against Esformes or for a general PR purpose about being tough. The real victim is an unknown person who got rejected from Penn (or from the basketball team) because Esformes's kid took the spot. No one knows who this victim is.

The other potential victim is the University - employees are not supposed to be taking bribes. It harms the integrity of the University's athletics and admissions processes, and the overall reputation of the school. The outcome here (I believe) depends on whether the University goes after Allen, which would force the hand of law enforcement. The University investigation will tell a lot. I am picturing a university board or leadership meeting where they discuss the cost and merit of going after Allen. I can see it going either way - setting an example vs. the cost and PR impact. I'm going to guess they go for a quiet solution, but it isn't clear cut.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.601 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:34 AM