Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Article: Jerome Took Bribes at Penn
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
10-10-18 05:11 AM - Post#262331    
    In response to SteveChop

I think the likelihood of others taking bribes to code a student as a recruited athlete at Penn or any other Ivy is very unlikely. What Jerome did is both shocking and still boggles the mind.

Nevertheless - to expect an admissions office to judge the athletic skills of a coded applicant is going way to far. Further - the Ivy Presidents are so far removed from this process that they can't be held responsible.

But - I do agree that the Ivy system could be changed to limit the number of recruited athletes and to revamp the AI so that the only relevant number is the imposition of a floor. I also agree the limit, accompanied by scholarships, would make the coaches much less prone to fudging the system.

However - the Ivy League is far more concerned about appearances than reality and I have trouble seeing them open to a scholarship based admissions process for athletes. And, of course, it's not as if the scholarship schools haven't engaged in other activities that would be considered either equally or even more appalling than what Jerome did.

I really think this remains a one off situation - one that we will always struggle to understand why.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.083 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:51 PM