Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy Preview courtesey of 3 Man Weave Podcast
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
10-12-18 12:44 AM - Post#262431    
    In response to whitakk

I think there is a happy medium. It's solid defense. However, in the absence of passable defense, Cromier's aggressive perimeter D was a working alternative.

I can't get to nostalgic since we haven't been a .500 team since before Y2K. But we had guards during the Cormier era that could get up in guys at half court and get steals. But again, you have to have confidence that you can play that type of D and not be benched. our 2-Foul Participation per KenPom was 17.8% vs 20.1% DI Avg. I'd argue that we should be on the other side of the average. Playing our starters a little longer should they pick up that second foul. Like Pomeroy suggests, a player is in foul trouble as soon as they get that first foul if there is an 82.2% chance they'll be benched.

In Cormier's last year here's his 2-Foul Participation: 24.5% VS 20.3% DI Avg. In the year prior he was almost inline with the Avg. In contrast in McLaughlin's first year he was 2-Foul Participation: 9.5% vs 20.1% DI Avg. Maybe it was because it was his first year and wanted to control every aspect of the game. But you're not going to instill defensive confidence if you're yanking players at every foul. Also, you never learn to play with fouls if you come out quickly. Ironically I watched Michigan lose to Villanova last year in part because the coach took key starters out for the first half after getting fouls. I'd argue that that was the turning point of the game. But what do I know...LOL

"...no excuses - only results!”

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 10-12-18 01:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.448 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:28 AM