Username Post: Bucknell FB
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
11-05-18 09:25 PM - Post#264343    
    In response to Doktore K

• Doktore K Said:

I’m wondering how many other PL schools have redshirt players who take 5 years to graduate. I am in favor of a limited number of redshirted student athletes per year.

I like Cooper a lot but he needs some help and we need better depth and creativity.

1. All PL schools except for Bucknell and Georgetown normally have a few "redshirt" players each year. These are players who reportedly had injuries that cost them a season and who are pursuing an academic program where a fifth year is necessary. Over the past 17 years Fordham, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh, and Colgate have had over 50 players each in that category, and their administrations have cooperated in making it easy. Bucknell has had zero, and I understand there is a lot of administrative pushback that makes it extremely difficult to bring someone back for a 5th year.

Having 3 or 4 fifth year starters makes a huge difference. For example, Last year's Lehigh team won the PL championship. Their starters included three 5th year players: (a) Center Brandon Short 6-3 280; (b) OL Zach Duffy 6-5 325; and (c) DL Jimmy Mitchell 6-2 275. The first two made 1st team All-PL, and all three were team captains. Think LU wins the title without those three?

Btw, starting Bison TE Marcus Ademilola, who suffered a season-ending injury at the beginning of the year, took the only realistic option and dropped out of school for a semester so that he can return and take his injury "redshirt".

2. Cooper is good for a freshman, but he is 5-7 175 pounds and realistically should be a third down back. That would have been his role, but the two top RB's, Chad Freshnock and Marquis Carter, both suffered serious injuries very early in the season. Freshnock, if healthy, is an All-PL RB - and Carter is not far behind.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.15 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:48 PM