Username Post: Congrats to Princeton Football
AntiUngvar 
Masters Student

Loc: New York City
Reg: 07-23-18
11-24-18 04:14 PM - Post#266875    
    In response to Tiger69

Tiger:
I respect (or at least try to) respect all points of view, but I must offer a special thanks to you for your clear and impassioned defense of the traditionalist posture. Frankly, it's more than obnoxious and a bit insincere for a visitor to formulate a thread, ostensibly and in the guise of praising Princeton; and to almost immediately disparage a Princeton family member, calling him a dinosaur. I, too, am a proud dinosaur! I don't even believe that freshmen should, to this day, be eligible to participate in varsity sports- I'm pleased to state that the Ivies were the very last league in the nation to move from that, But kids love dinosaurs; many adults love them , too; and because they're so effective in capturing our attentions, dinosaurs are excellent teachers of the natural sciences.
And Tiger, you certainly don't need somebody pontificating to you about what you should and must be mindful of, because you understand how and why football is unique; in that each event takes up a full week of a school semester. Of course, the kids want to keep playing- that's why they're kids in the first place; but we need to get over ourselves and our insufferable need to be entertained, and just concede that there are some reasons, respectful of academic standards, that more than adequately why the Ivies end football when they do-- football's nothing like baskets, where you can fly out to Wichita on a Wednesday evening; lose to Kansas on a Thursday; an be back on your campus on Friday, ready and able to spend the weekend catching up for mid terms exams. No- each football playoff game eats up another 8% of the fall term; simply requiring, in my opinion, too much of a student-athlete's time.
Don't know that The Game, Harvard v. Yale football, really factors in here; but one would have to be self absorbed to the nth degree or dumber than a tree stump not to know that Harvard v. Yale DOES matter to a whole universe of people; AND AS a defining element of the league's character, something that should resonate with boosters of any of the eight member schools. I don't think Harvard-Yale fans are petulant- in using a word with such a negative and downright nasty connotation, the writer may well see himself- a person who was probably rejected by Harvard or Yale half a century ago, though having not yet lived it down; to make matters worse, his once cherished business degree is now the not so prized possession of Donald Trump and one-half the members of his family! Under such unfortunate circumstances, petulance is ALL this feeble simpleton has left; so he rails and tosses stones at all things Harvard/Yalish he may encounter or may imagine he's encountering- he's never gotten out from under the Harvard-Yale shadow and probably never will.

Edited by AntiUngvar on 11-24-18 04:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.225 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:11 AM