Username Post: LaSalle Game
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
12-06-18 04:53 PM - Post#268218    
    In response to crd012

• crd012 Said:
To me the thing with Avi is the inconsistency in his shot. Which obviously shows up in his free throw shooting which is abysmal. Unlike kimbal, his shot mechanics seem to be different with every shot. And the timing of his jump and release seem to differ. I would love to see him be able to carry the team offensively, but his inconsistency is maddening. Also he has virtually no arc on his shot, so it's either directly in or not. You can see Kimbal gets rolls, he does not.

Additionally if you want him to be the defensive ace, it is tough to rely on him to be the number one on the offensive end. Obviously this team has potential as I'm sure we have just as much talent as any other team in the PL but so far this year we've seen the team be terrible in first halves pretty consistently. I just hope that they don't think that previous success means they should roll.

There is no question that Avi does not have a lot of arc on the shot - which makes it harder to be consistent. However if you look back at his HS stats, when he was the main guy offensively and likely had a lot of confidence in his shot, he was a very good shooter from anywhere on the court. Over four years, he hit 59% on twos, 46% on threes, and 73% from the line. Even better, as a senior he hit 77% on twos (129-167), 50% on threes (55-110), and 73% from the line (166-228). I don't expect him to hit those sort of percentages, but I think he can definitely hit over 40% on threes. For his Bison career, he is at 37.3% now - which is more than acceptable - but he should do better as he gets to shoot more. As for FT's, a lot of the issue is likely mental. He proved in HS he is capable of hitting close to 75% from the line over a large number of attempts. Hopefully that will happen at some point, but who knows.

Agree that it's tough to be THE defensive guy and also the main offensive guy, although it's not impossible. However in this case, I think he is just being asked to be one of the main guys at each end. On offense he is not going to be more than the third option this year. And at the other end, there are several good defenders - although he may well be the best.

HS stats: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/avi-toomer/RS iqNvT...

One other thing about Avi is that we shouldn't forget that he had a very serious injury last year that cost him half the season and left him at well under full strength when he returned. That had to have hurt his development. Even now, he is playing with a metal rod in his leg.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.423 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:30 PM