Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Boston U Game
Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
01-06-19 10:14 AM - Post#271508    
    In response to HuskyColonial

Yes, but when you play the game there’s a period of adjustment where skills offset athleticism up until the point where the more athletic team better understands the offensive sets as well as the individual player tendencies. You can identify tendencies on film but it’s no replacement for learned real time exposure. Playing for 40 minutes is an issue that every coach faces. I agree that allowing BU to score 43 in the first half is an issue, but I don’t agree it’s a question of an “itensity switch” that we cognitively adopt in the HT lockeroom. It’s a question of adapting to what the other team is doing to you so your coverage slides and rotations are efficient. How many times this year did the opposing teams get open dunks in the first couple of possessions because The roll of the pick was impeded at all. Your position that our defensive struggles in the first halves are primarily a function of effort is naive. At Dt Mary’s it took 14 minutes of playing time to understand that Avi was the only guard that was effectively able to defend Ford. From your perspective that means KN and JS “decided” not to play hard in the first half...preposterous. You can’t evaluate basketball games in a vacuum...i.e., the other teams have coaches and plans of their own. BU did an absolute superlative job moving the ball in the first half! Army consistently made 3’s in the first half and consistently missed them in the second. Per my mental observations of the game flow and think if you reviewed the tape of the Army game it would clearly show we actually defended the 3 better in the first half than we did in the second but they made “more contested 3’s” in the first half and missed “less contested 3’s” in the second half...how does that support is playing with more defensive intensity in the second half than the first? Also, the big kid Wilson made a number of tough right and left hand hooks with Nate and Paul draped all over him and then missed three layups in the second half that he should have just dunked?
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.016 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:11 AM