Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: The Finale vs Cornell
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
03-11-19 06:51 AM - Post#280587    
    In response to flinder

The verdict 2-12 is not okay

Our best win was refuted in the rematch at Harvard. I had hoped we'd sweep Columbia. I thought we found some additional scoring off the bench in that first game. That didn't translate into the second game looking at the box score.

In this era we have gone 4,3,2 wins in league. Given our history it's hard to argue that this is a new trend or the basis of a coaching change. We're perpetually at the bottom of the league. Unfortunately we have a mediocre approach to the basketball programs evidenced in the tone of everything that comes out of the program media and heads. Please spare me the big green building or we're only a couple made baskets from a better season. That's the participation trophy mentality.

I think we have player talent, and the coaches record is what it is. Not being able to close out close games is not a talent issue. It's a coaching and player confidence issue. It's the mediocrity that casts a pall over the programs.

We're always building and by my estimation we're going to be several steps behind the top 4 teams for a long while. Maybe by the time this year's freshman are seniors we'll have a shot at the last spot in the tourney, just from an experience and chemistry standpoint.

Watching the sidelines I can't say that I see a lot of joie de vivre between the players and coaches, coaches and the game, and even between the players. Losing like this takes it's toll on everyone. I don't get the sense that we have a charismatic players coach. So it's hard to imagine we have a leadership that can change the attitude of the program. Given where we are it will take someone who can get everyone even the end of the bench to buy in. In hindsight losing E.B. says a lot more. We point the finger at the player but being able to manage players and expectations is a coaching issue. You have to be able to keep your team together. So losing the programs biggest legacy says a lot. Coaching turnover doesn't help. I'm making a leap but for a newly tenured, coach keeping your coaching staff together also is telling. It'll be interesting to see if everyone with the exception of our lone seniors returns next year. That will speak volumes.

Injuries definitely didn't help this year but that was an issue I saw coming before league started. We didn't invest much in our bench. We ran our best guys to exhaustion. They were visibly tired in a lot of games. You are not going to win the second half of a back to back after overtime game the day before without depth. Amaker spoke about this at the beginning of league. They played most of season without arguably their best two players. It can be done.

I want our guys to win. I want our program to thrive. I just don't see the commitment across the program to get there soon.
"...no excuses - only results!”

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 03-11-19 07:16 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.21 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:56 AM