Username Post: Article on Tournament Location
bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-19-19 08:00 AM - Post#282008    
    In response to dtannenwald

• dtannenwald Said:
Hi Everyone,

I wrote an article for Harvard Magazine about the decision to rotate the tournament location. It draws on interviews with league officials, coaches, AD's, and more. I thought it might be of interest to readers on the board:

https://harvardmagazine.com/node/65254

Thanks,
David

I thought that the article was extremely well written and provided an excellent overview of the thought process by the decision makers. I remember hearing Mitch stating that the committee knew that they would not get everything correct the first time and modifications would have to be made.

Personally, I think that the concept of the rotation amongst IL homecourts was the wrong one but a decision to remain at the Palestra would have been even worse for the players and coaches. Coach Jones comments sums it up best as you shared in the article. Clearly, the Palestra is the best venue if the focus is on marketing and exposure but at least the committee put more weight on competitiveness and fairness as well as doing the right thing.

The obvious and best solution would have picked a permenant neutral site. Prudential Center in Newark or Hartford selection site would have made more sense but .... I would not be surprised if they go back to the drawing board once again as it is after all IvyMadness.

Thanks for sharing.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:05 PM