Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Harvard Basketball Culture/Expectations
OnlyCrimsonBlood 
Freshman

Reg: 04-02-19
04-17-19 10:46 AM - Post#283717    

Dear All,

Long time lurker. First time poster. I have read in other threads constructive exchange of ideas as it relates to expectations for this 2016 class.

https://www.thecrimson.com/blog/the-back-page/ar ti...

Most here seem to come to the conclusion that injuries have played a big part in failing to make the NCAA Tournament. The other argument is this class has met expectations with its overall IL performance over the last three years ect ect...

So here is a basic question I have. How much of a liability is it from a pure basketball perspective (for this post relating to the 2016 class) to be a basketball player at Harvard in comparison to other programs especially Power 5?

Keep in mind looking at KenPom as the true performance barometer last year Wofford finished #18 and Buffalo #22. The examples are endless when evaluating efficiency #'s over the years and comparing many mid majors to Harvard (this with our big 2016 class).

KenPom

Harvard 2017-KP #112
Harvard 2018-KP # 141
Harvard 2019-KP # 114

So these numbers bring me to player development and culture. All coach specific issues. The SI article below highlights the journey Texas Tech took to a near National Championship. One missed Hunter 3 pt'er brings home the title. It all revolves around culture as several other articles relating to Tech have detailed.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 19/04/09/n...

My concern is... as our highly touted class enters their Senior season together... that our basketball culture will never be at a level where we see anything similar to what Texas Tech accomplished this year. As often stated the Harvard experience is way more than basketball. It is what happens after you LEAVE Harvard that brings in the talent. Thus De-emphasizing a true basketball winning culture (or being as efficient as your talent base)? In other words also lacking that killer mentality or street dog mentality that was preached at Tech (as one example).

Can any of Chris Beards basketball philosophies translate at Harvard (his daughter does go to Columbia lol)? Culver and Smith were 3* recruits and both will be lottery picks. Smith a one and done/Culver 2 years.

I think for me it is frustration and most likely a lack of understanding/acceptance of "what could have been" from a pure talent perspective with this class. Wofford ranked #10 in offensive efficiency this year with the likelihood no player gets drafted and just two key Senior contributors. Is Mike Young that much better than Tommy?

In general information is scarce (unless I am missing something) IMO on the off season workouts ect...where other teams make it a priority to communicate uplifting information relating to progress (strength and conditioning). It was also interesting that Bryce was not selected as a captain. I always thought he fit a similar profile to Shabazz Napier when he entered Harvard.

What are your thoughts? All opinions I respect and hope to gain knowledge from. I am not a Harvard grad (my father was) or seasoned message board poster. My career is in finance. Some of my closest friends are Harvard grads. I only have crimson blood because my sincere love of Harvard hoops.

Thank You

Edited by OnlyCrimsonBlood on 04-17-19 10:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:03 AM