dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
05-02-19 11:41 PM - Post#284129    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
Those that don't go to the Voy Board, an ESPN commentator is unimpressed with the Banghart hiring.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basket ball/stor...

First off, I'm offended on behalf of the league; as Sparman put it on the Voy board, this is the typical bias of someone who only really pays attention to the Power 5. The Ivies have been flirting with the edge of the upper-echelon for a couple of years now, and if the progress continues they're going to break into it pretty soon; people like Voepel are ignorant of this.

Second, I will agree with Voepel that UNC was concerned with more than just pure coaching skill in this decision; however, I think that it's more about image than money. Hatchell had problems with both racial and (allegedly) sexual minorities; Banghart will have no such problems. Hatchell appears to have been emotionally abusive to her players at times, particularly with regard to playing through injuries; Banghart has no history of this whatsoever. UNC in general and the women's team specifically have been mired in the fake-classes scandal for a few years now; what better answer than to bring in someone with great success at one of the best universities in the country, who has been lauded to the skies for it by the media? I think the current circumstances make her much more attractive and less of a risk to UNC then to, say, Tennessee.

I do have to disagree with Voepel on the whole experience thing; after all, every upper-echelon coach was new to the big leagues once upon a time. I don't know if there's been any formal study of the question, but there's certainly no obvious reason to believe that being an assistant for heavy-duty programs is a more certain road to success than head coaching at lower levels. As the NC fan boards have pointed out, the Vols just hired Kellie Harper, who has no more Power 5 experience than Banghart does, and you don't see skeptical articles about them. That just seems silly to me.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Edited by dperry on 05-02-19 11:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.237 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:37 PM