Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Harvard wins Affirmative Action Suit
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
10-14-19 01:40 PM - Post#288550    
    In response to SRP

Yes, I tend to agree that the rationale gets mushy but the real thing it pointed out is that the student with good grades and scores is a dime a dozen to Harvard (and probably every Ivy). Since 30% of the class is ALDCs (athletes, legacies, faculty children and students on the dean’s list (not an academic honor, but rather tied to donors and other families of interest)), the competition for the non-specialized slots where 5% or less get in is intense and it would not surprise me (nor did it surprise the Judge) that Asian kids who are 1st generation would be likely to lose out in the "what special characteristic are you bringing to Harvard"---which is the real meaning of the "personality" score. And that would be true of almost any 1st generation immigrant from a different cultural and language background.

In my view, this is the right "result"--it would be very dangerous to say that a private university cannot choose its own class where the distinctions made are between applicants who really all are admittable. Does distinguishing between .3 on a GPA of different schools or a 40 point SAT difference really make someone more qualified than another? But the logic in the opinion is questionable given the Judge's almost desperate attempt to fit this case within O'Connor's view that the need for Affirmative Action should be gone within 25 years.

Given who was funding this lawsuit, it's pretty clear that it isn't any real concern for Asian students that drives it. But it will be interesting to see how it plays on appeal.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.492 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:59 AM