Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 2019-20 Projections
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
10-29-19 05:10 PM - Post#289248    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

A lot is being and has been said about two bids on these boards. I don't want to get into the arguments and narrative and the different sides here, but I do want to highlight one thing that continually gets missed.

There's always a ton of focus on OOC opportunities - and that's obviously an important part of at large consideration. But the bigger key for mids to get bids is to be part of leagues with a good number of Tier I and II opportunities. If you look at the most successful mid-major leagues at getting at large bids, you'll see that they had a lot of those chances to go around in the years they secured bids.

So, it's really impossible to assess two bid possibilities without talking about expectations for the league's teams. If we come close to Bart Torvik's preseason rankings and give Harvard and Penn a Tier I game (at each other) and three Tier II games (home vs. each other, at Princeton and at Columbia), that's a much different landscape than the top team having one Tier II game in league play (at the second best team).

To some extent, that's what killed Monmouth in 2016, after putting up an incredible OOC campaign, they had one other top 100 team to play (3X) over their final 21 games.

2BidIvy isn't going anywhere unless it can produce four Top 135 NET teams and have a couple of those in the Top 75. Have to have those in league opportunities no matter what the OOC run looks like.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.286 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:25 PM