Username Post: Penn Women 3-0
dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
11-20-19 03:04 PM - Post#291748    
    In response to JDP

Thanks to JDP for providing the update while RL has me running around. I’ll add the following:

--Padilla also is a pretty good defender and in good condition (they’ve been pressing a lot, and she doesn’t seem to tire much as the game goes along) and a surprisingly good rebounder (has nine already, including one last game where she completely beat out two or three other players in the post whom she was giving three-four inches to.) She is going to be a delight to watch the next four years, particularly since she’s going to tick off a lot of opponents along the way with her Paul Chambersesque style of play.
--She and Grasela have a combined A/TO of 31-5. While the ratio obviously won’t stay that gaudy, this is the kind of ball movement I’ve been wanting for a long time.
--Parker is indeed ruling the paint and seems to be pain-free from last year’s knee injury. I just wish she would pick it up from the line (2-9 so far).
--Kennedy Suttle has started from game 1, and while her scoring isn’t incredible yet (7/gm), she is crushing it on the boards (7.3/gm, tied with Parker for team lead)
--Between them, Padilla, Sterba, and Lakstigala are shooting around .450 from beyond the arc, which is another big factor in the increased offensive output.
--Emily Anderson is putting in a solid 10 min/gm and has developed a couple of nice moves in the post, which, as noted in my previous post, allows Crawford to spell other people besides Parker.
--While it is true that the defense isn’t quite as good as it was last year so far, they’re still only averaging 45/gm; frankly, if they can continue to score on average even between 65-70 a game, the loss in defense will be more than worth it, and if they get over 70 consistently, there will be much kicking of heinie.

Unfortunately, Silke Milliman has not gotten in except in garbage time, and has not looked great; she’s 0-6 from three and has not been able to penetrate much. The rest of the team beyond the three aforementioned shooters is 4-31 overall from three, and two of those are from Parker, of all people, so we need the regular players to stay hot (although Michae Jones has only one attempt so far, so she should pick it up as we go along.) In particular, Katie Kinum is 0-6 and looks lost out there.

I am going to temper my enthusiasm a bit by saying that a.) we haven’t played anybody yet; our best opponent so far is Siena, who is ranked 291 at NatStat’s WBB site, and b.) Princeton has been beating considerably better opposition (including Florida Gulf Coast, who NatStat has in the top 60) despite an ever-growing list of injuries (much kudos to RBG for his hard work on that front.) That’s likely to end against Iowa tonight, particularly if Alarie and Littlefield can’t play, but it’s still not a good sign. We will start finding out what our heroines are really made of with tonight’s game against St. Joe’s (#158 at NatStat) and the Thanksgiving-weekend trip to Duke (#47). Nevertheless, going down the list of keys mentioned in my preview post, they’re definitely ahead of where I thought they would be at this point; let’s see if they can sustain it.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Edited by dperry on 11-20-19 03:06 PM. Reason for edit: Forgot shoutout to RBG.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.491 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:57 PM