Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Stirring the pot
Bison1999 
Junior

Reg: 01-23-06
04-02-07 10:02 PM - Post#34243    
    In response to KenZ

First, a bit o' housecleaning: I love Holy Cross in the PL. I grew up in Mansfield, MA and it's no stretch to say I knew about Holy Cross, its traditions and its history well before Bucknell's. Omari Walker (BC grad) graduated my high school 2 years ahead of me. Steve Grogan and Rocky Marciano co-owned a sporting goods store in my downtown. I love the rivalry that's developed, the respect these programs show each and how they represent the league on a national stage.

That being said, I'm deeply uncomfortable with trying to shoehorn another school into the PL when geography is barely more than a passing observation. In other words, it should have as little bearing as possible, especially when each school's other sports, their academic rigor and national reknown are much, much bigger concerns.

Marist? Quinnipiac? Binghamton? Fairfield? With all due respect to their many fine and diverse qualities, they weren't even on my list of safety schools (nor would they be today). Add in the notion that we'd bring one of them in just to add some geographic balance to, say, Richmond or W&M is absurd (especially if you buy into my primary criteria).

I hate to say it but there just aren't many colleges/universities that match the PL template north of Lewisburg, east of Colgate and south of HC.

I say the best to hope for is that the PL never needs to expand. Because if it does, the best matches (assuming mutual interest) seem a bit further south. And IF they PL goes down that road, HC will leave the league, which would be terrible but for which I'd begrudge them nothing.

Go Bison!
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.305 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:58 AM