Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Any Whispers on New Women's Coach?
JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
04-29-23 12:11 PM - Post#356023    
    In response to CM

Philosophically, in enticing students to apply and matriculate, I believe the financial cost of an Ivy is currently the first order constraint – admissions is second order. Two thoughts why:

Scholarships / merit aid may not increase the admittable overall pool or the admittable student-athlete applicant pool: All the top applicants already apply to an Ivy. But currently how many admitted students ultimately select an alternative university because of economic reasons? As financial support increases, that number approaches zero. The yield rate for Ivy teams to their top admitted/offered recruits also likely increases as the cost of attendance approaches zero, their cost at any non Ivy alternative D1 university.

Scholarships may increase the admittable overall and student-athlete applicant pool: There are likely some potential admissible applicants that self-select against an Ivy because the perceived the cost will be too great or don’t want to fill out the financial aid package to get a read. No idea on the size of the cohort, but it’s nonzero. Some potential admissible student athletes know the Ivies do not offer scholarships and there are alterative high academic D1 institutions that do, so they do not even engage with an Ivy. Scholarships eliminates this reason.

I believe this effect is evident currently within the Ivies, as each school has a different, and from top to bottom – likely meaningfully relatively different, need-based aid amount for the same student (play around with the financial aid formulas on the school’s websites). All the Ivy student-athletes qualified under the AI and want to undertake the course work. But Ivy Titles are not 12.5% per school – nor is the distribution of appearances in Ivy Madness or NCAA bids. An interesting study would be to see the impact of the deregulation of the Ivy Financial Aid policy in the 1990s to success of a school’s athletic teams, pre and post deregulation. Have the Ivies with the better financial aid packages gone further in NCAA championships across all sports post deregulation than pre?

When I was watching the women’s final 4, the announcers made the comment that the Virginia Tech team had a 3.7 GPA. Catlin Clark is an Academic All-American. I have conviction that some of the Academic All-Americans on the list below would end up at Ivies.

https://academicallameric a.com/news/2023/3/14/2022...

As it is, the Ivies should have had multiple bids last year to the women’s tournament, and given the talent across the league, I believe the Ivies will have four top 100 teams next season. If scholarships allowed each team to add an additional top 150 player every other recruiting class or an additional key transfer, that would make a meaningful difference in level of play when most teams play 7-8 key players per game. And given the high starting level, that would mean meaningful more national success.

Scholarships would help level the playing field across the Ivies and vs. D1
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.423 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:39 AM