Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
01-16-24 02:01 PM - Post#361772    
    In response to pennsive

• pennsive Said:
He is not THE problem. He is better than our alternatives. The problem is team defense and a marked inability to play aggressive man to man defense for two halves, denying the three and denying penetration without fouling. Often, as yesterday, we allow wide open threes as though we expect the other team not to make shots they practice every day in shoot around practices. Look how closely Cornell guarded your three point shooting in the second half. For years our front line, especially, has been less athletic and less physically strong than our opponents, and we wear down as the game progresses. Solid team defense without fouling is and has been our Achilles Heel for years. Conversely, we are typically bullied in the second half, to the point that we have no legs, and then we fold up. It is not the fault of our center. The question to focus on is WHY we couldn’t score in the second half, and why we allowed them to shoot three pointers as though they were having a pre-game shoot around. This wasn’t random. It has happened to us historically, even with a healthy Clark and with Dingle to bail us out and keep us close enough to mask those problems.

For the record, I'm not saying Spinoso is the problem. I was just reacting to the commentary about him.

I agree that generally defense is the biggest problem, though the offense isn't top 100 either.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:37 PM