Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Men's Program
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
01-23-24 09:42 AM - Post#362030    
    In response to CM

• CM Said:
I can answer that. Football is THE priority sport at Dartmouth, this is well known.

Dartmouth is pretty bad at most sports these days and it cannot just be because they're hiring bad coaches across every discipline:

Of course it isn't.

But its poor reasoning to automatically conclude that admissions must be the culprit.

Far more logical is that Dartmouth is sponsoring too many sports and we don't have the resources to compete with some of our Ivy brethren. The former AD attempted to contract some sports--most of which have been underperforming forever--that would have freed up resources (admissions slots, $$$) for remaining sports.

Unfortunately, we screwed it up and relented under threats of lawsuits. So we have to keep on carrying some deadweight sports...

Money matters. Dartmouth has had good coaches (soccer, softball, WLAX) poached by higher programs. Had we been able to pay them more, we'd have a lot more titles. We might be able to do better in basketball than hiring D-III coaches (McLaughlin, Shibles).

And I assure you that there have been plenty of coaches who have complained about admissions. Cozza and Banghart come to mind, but others exist. None of them have come from Dartmouth since Furstenburg (who hated athletics) left our admissions office.

In short, I think you're going to need more than "the teams aren't doing well" to claim that admissions is the problem.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.167 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:34 PM