Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
01-26-24 02:38 PM - Post#362158    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
  • Mike Porter Said:

Can't say I recall that unless a very specific case of elevating someone already on the team.

Does the name Fran McCaffery ring a bell?

I'm not saying a change is going to happen because I doubt it will (sadly). But your premise sounds like a losing proposition from the start doesn't it? Hard to argue these last 8 years as much better than average (I didn't do the math, but I would guess the average KP rating over the seasons is probably about dead middle of D1). So we are supposed to resign ourselves to the fact that is the best we can do?

No, we are to accept the fact that SD will remain in place as long as he wishes as long as the team remains competitive and he runs a clean program. That is the Ivy Way. Of course, he may wish to leave or be replaced by a cheaper coach should we end up in D-III.

On first point, I meant in my work life, not college basketball. Yes I remember this, and yes I remember him not ever being our coach. I guess that is my point, you aren't going to know what is really going to happen until you decide the team you have just isn't good enough.

And on your second point, that is the definition of acceptance of mediocrity. I'm sure you're probably right as I said. What I can tell you is that my interest has already waned significantly and I see that across the board here (look at how dead it is for midseason). I won't watch the game live this weekend, and won't watch it at all if we lose. I hope they win of course, but that is about all I can muster. Wait much longer, and no one will be left to care because surely no new fans are being minted right now. Maybe that is the admin's strategy all along.

Either way, nothing kills a program as effectively as consistent mediocrity. No excitement when you don't win, and no hope when there is no chance for change.

This year will be 6 years since the last NCAA tourney spot (baring a downright miracle). 1 tournament in 17 years, with no next tournament trip in sight. It that isn't sobering, not sure what is.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.582 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:03 AM