Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Yale
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
02-04-24 06:06 PM - Post#362769    
    In response to pennsive

I agree that no one is blanket defending him. My main defense is that I just don't care enough anymore - about college sports, not just Penn basketball - to bang the table for his ouster. I also find it hard to pour loyalty into a program where the university President and AD don't seem to care any more deeply than I do. I agree that SD's record has been proven mediocre, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about admissions, financial aid, NIL, and resources to assign blame. The buck stops with the coach, though. It's the coach's job to manage upwards too.

SD undoubtedly did a fantastic coaching job with Cornell. He took that team as far as any other Ivy team (even the best P-P teams of the modern era) into the NCAAs. If you watched those games, his team was better coached than its opponents. Accomplishing that at Cornell is against all odds. He is not flat out a bad coach. That said, he has not shown the ability to recreate that magic at BC or Penn. His teams have not been good on defense. I think his offensive scheme is decent. It is just well scouted and understood within the league. It helps us to pick up a few out-of-conference wins (i.e. Villanova), but it isn't giving us Ivy titles. His recruiting has been middling, and the fit with his scheme is also middling. He hasn't put all of this pieces together in running a program, period. The kids seem fantastic and are playing hard for each other, so I am happy enough to watch games and pull for them whether we win or lose. This is closer to rooting for your kids' high school than it is to the SEC. We're adults, and we really should have more to get riled up about than Penn basketball, blaming kids, and calling for coaches to be fired.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.622 seconds.   Total Queries: 18   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:52 PM