Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Dingle Transferring Continuation Thread
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
02-16-24 04:31 AM - Post#363253    
    In response to SRP

I was a bit mixed on him playing for Pitino too. Pitino is an amazing coach. I didn't think it was a good fit for Dingle, but I was intrigued that he would be playing in a scheme that would require his improvement in exactly the areas he needs to improve for a shot at the NBA - faster ball movement, faster decisions, better three point shooting, and swarming full-court defense.

In a strange way (and I don't mean to upset you, nychoops), Donahue did customize the offense to work for Dingle in a way that fit. It was a pretty one-dimensional set of plays (probably part of your ire), but with hindsight it enabled some of Dingle's strengths. It's hard to argue with his individual stats under Donahue.

If I were to give Dingle advice, it would be to move the ball faster - try not to hold the ball for even a second and try not to take a few still dribbles to read the defense. Instead, either pass the ball immediately or else penetrate hard immediately. I think Pitino would rather a player put immediate pressure on the defense, and then kick the ball if the drive isn't there - instead of dribbling in place while reading the defense. Pitino wants an off-balance defense, not one with time to key on a player and to set their feet. Dingle is not a long armed defender, so he needs to be quicker on his feet and more physical on D than he was at Penn.

I haven't really watched St. John's games, so maybe he's already doing these things under Pitino. Wishing him a great rest of the season.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.371 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:17 AM