Username Post: Season Recap, the way forward, Amaker
digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
03-04-24 11:12 AM - Post#364466    
    In response to mobrien

• mobrien Said:

It doesn't help that the system is so stale. We don't add any wrinkles to the basic motion offense, like Coach K did when he added double high screens, so what we end up doing is weakly passing it around the perimeter for 20 seconds before calling for a late ball screen. The basic motion would be fine if we actually executed it, which is to say if we really moved it from side to side, if guys took at most 2 seconds to pass or shoot, if we got the defense out of position by even just half a step to create driving lanes. But we don't. The ball sticks; or guys think they can drive, only to realize there isn't any room once they get doubled or tripled in the lane, and then they end up flailing around for a few seconds because they have no passing angle. Turnovers are the result. We have to focus on actually moving the ball, moving our players, and moving them fast. Anything else just lets the defense load up against any drives (especially when we don't have the shooting to punish them for it).

I had a thought about halfway through the season that we looked like a late 80s ACC team.

Agree with pretty much everything else you wrote too.

I am an Amaker guy, and I do think part of that is what else he does with the team in the university. I think that stuff is really important, particularly as we drift farther and farther from the student athletics in the grand scheme. He's also created a ton of fun for my family in the last decade, something that wasn't something I could have imagined when I graduated.

That said, I'd obviously like to win more than five or six Ivy games a season. I pegged us sixth coming into the season, got my hopes up when we started the season on fire. I do think there's a lot of promise. Maybe we'll get some breaks too.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.164 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:33 AM