Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivy NIL strategy?
JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
03-30-24 05:09 PM - Post#366746    
    In response to TigerFan

I do not expect the Ivies to change. Physics 101: An object at rest, stays at rest. The Ivies need a strong external influence to change their beliefs. The 1992ish era financial aid collusion decision is one such event. Why I hold out the scholarship lawsuit as the only external influence that could bring about change – anything else anyone can name that would have the Ivy Presidents do anything differently than they have done for decades? The Dartmouth Union, unlikely.

I also do not expect any Ivy to eliminate the NIL as an asset in the financial aid formula. But if an Ivy wanted to make such a change, it’s an institution level decision outside of the Ivy League rules.

To TigerFan's point. One should look at the Financial Aid calculators. When asked why Harvard and Princeton have won 2x the amount of Ivy Titles (nearly 50%) than their expectations, Financial Aid is a first order impact.

Why? All things equal, after considering financial aid, head-to-head Harvard and Princeton are no more expensive than any other Ivy and in many case, materially less expensive.

Middle class Student Athlete whose parents own a home applies to Penn & Princeton, which school do you believe will deliver the better aid package?

For Princeton “Assets do not include retirement holdings or primary residence. Assets do include non-retirement investments, 529 plan college savings, student assets and investments, non-primary vacation housing and other homes.”

For Penn home equity is included from residence and primary vacation home. “Typical assets can be defined as having a relative amount in cash and/or savings, checking, and investments. Assets also include home equity (the value of your primary home), other real estate equity owned by your immediate family (secondary to your primary home), and business equity (the value of a business owned by your parents).

Conceptually I have no arguments with Princeton’s approach – they are using the institutional resourses to attract the best students including student-athletes.

From a conference perspective, however, the Ivy Conference is not a level playing field. Some schools have the financial aid budgets of the New York Yankees, some the Oakland As or Pittsburgh Pirates – and on the field results are not unexpected.

Before NIL, before scholarships, I would look for the Ivies (not holding breath) to return to the league wide equality properties that were core to the League’s founding principles.

TigerFans, back when I was at the mercy of the Penn Financial aid formula – the expectation was that 100% of what a student earns should be applied to college costs – so 100% of after tax NIL revenue would reduce the financial aid $ for after tax NIL $.

I also do think about how the NIL portal realities will change a coaches’ approach to recruiting. Now every player will need portal and NIL impact score. Do you recruit the overlooked student athlete who could blow up and go free agent or opt for someone who is highly likely to make commencement services? Or will we become a conference of wealthy family student athlete who are only swayed by high 6 digit / 7 digit NIL and a class of student athletes that do not command high mid major or Power 5 NIL?

Edited by JDP on 03-30-24 05:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.012 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:08 PM