Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: New Transfer
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
05-04-24 02:29 PM - Post#368119    
    In response to SomeGuy

So how will this affect us on a relative basis to the other Ivies? This puts an even bigger premium on relentless recruiting and game coaching. These haven't necessarily been Donahue's areas of strength.

Teams under his watch have appeared (as an outsider) to be excellent in terms of culture. All of his teams fight to the end and play for each other. The NIL/Transfer era may undermine Donahue's main area of strength. Maybe Donahue will discover resourcefulness or a relatively better pitch than others for this new world. Penn may have something different to offer. Bigger sports city, Big 5, bigger school, Wharton, and Penn network = bigger visibility and opportunities in the Transfer/NIL era. For better or worse, Penn does now have a track record of developing and sending players to major conferences and bigger NIL.

I suspect that the financial aid issues relative to HYP become a larger issue for Penn, though. Old arguments about how education will pay back the lack of scholarships in the long run are now dead. A shorter term stint means the value of the degree doesn't matter. Matching HYP aid vs. formulaic policy based aid will be a detriment in the maelstrom of applications and transfers. I wasn't sure of that before, but now I have a much better vantage point. For those that have argued that financial aid policy disparity was not an issue, I can now say with confidence that you were wrong about that.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.009 seconds.   Total Queries: 5   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:20 PM