The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Loyola University?
LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
03-10-08 04:14 PM - Post#46189    

assuming all of you guys are loyola grads.. i figured you would be interested in a recent email the student body received...

Dear Members of the Loyola College Community:

I want to thank you for your thoughtful feedback and useful suggestions during our ongoing strategic planning process. Your commitment and input has been invaluable, and I anticipate your continued contributions as the planning process progresses. I am certain that the community is ready to embrace and advance the vision that will generate a transformative academic environment for all of our students and that will lead to an even greater Loyola. During the next several months, the Drafting Committee will be incorporating all of the information, assessments and analyses, and data into a document that we will present to the Board of Trustees in October. The process will continue to be iterative and open as we garner additional community input.

This time of strategic planning and reflection permits us to review and assess our strengths and opportunities as well as consider current conditions in higher education along with our position in this environment. In addition, the SimpsonScarborough market research project will provide us with fresh and current data from our key constituents. While the possibility of a name change from Loyola College to Loyola University was discussed approximately ten years ago, it is now timely to reconsider this issue, taking into account all of the information that we have gathered about our own development and place in today’s changing world. Over the course of the last ten years, Loyola has evolved in many ways, including strengthened graduate programs and a continued commitment to undergraduate education focused on a humanities-centered core curriculum, with a full range of strong liberal arts majors and first-rate professional programs. Changing our name now would reflect our current circumstances and status as a comprehensive university, rather than signify a change in direction. We are at an important juncture with the addition of a School of Education, and a concurrent name change to Loyola University would strengthen the bond among the three schools.

I want to be sure that the campus community has the opportunity to be involved in the discussion about a possible name change. The Loyola Conference will discuss this topic at its meeting on
March 18. In addition, I invite all faculty members to meet with me and members of the Cabinet on Thursday, March 27 at 3:15 p.m. in McGuire Hall East for further conversation. I realize that feelings on both sides of this issue are strong, and I look forward to having a full discussion. I am committed to hearing and considering all points of view and will share the feedback from these sessions with the Board of Trustees on April 16.

I remind you that up-to-date information about the planning process as well as a historical calendar of discussions is available to the campus community on the Strategic Planning webpage, (www.loyola.edu/about/stratplan).

Sincerely,

Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J.
President
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.82 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:10 PM