Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
05-01-09 10:35 AM - Post#63100    
    In response to hoopsfan

April 30, 2009

Jay Gomes
NJHoops.com Editor

Kowalski Makes His Choice

St. Patrick's Sr. Dean Kowalski has decided to attend Columbia of the Ivy League. NJ Hoops spoke with Kowalski on his college choice:
NJ Hoops

Dean Kowalski
NJ Hoops: Why did you decide on Columbia?

DK: It's a great school. It was the best school after me and one of the best schools in the world.

NJ Hoops: How do you like the coaches there?

DK: I really like them. Coach Jones is a great guy. He talks to me like a regular guy. He's very personable.

NJ Hoops: When did you decide?

DK: Last Thursday or Friday.

NJ Hoops: Was there one coach recruiting you more than the others? Or was it a group effort?

DK: Pretty much the whole staff

NJ Hoops: When did they start recruiting you?

DK: I don't remember specifically. I know they came up to a practice during the season.

NJ Hoops: What did they say your role would be?

DK: They didn't guarantee any playing time of course. They were straight forward. They said whoever works the hardest will play and that's how I like it too.

NJ Hoops: Did you visit the school?

DK: Yes I went to a game and walked around campus.

NJ Hoops: How was the campus?

DK: It's right in the middle of the city but yet it's isolated. It's like a gated community and right outside there is New York City.

NJ Hoops: Was the location a factor?

DK: Not really. I love my parents and everything but I was willing to go away.

NJ Hoops: Did you meet the players and how did you like them?

DK: I have not met any yet.

NJ Hoops: Was the school's academic reputation a factor?

DK: Very big. It was probably the biggest factor.

NJ Hoops: What were the other schools that you were considering?

DK: Them and Colgate. I went up to Colgate before that and had a good visit. Mike Venezia a real good friend from Westfield goes there.

NJ Hoops: Did you visit any other schools?

DK: I visited a lot of schools with my mom just to see them and the campuses. Not officially. And I also visited Penn.

NJ Hoops: What school sent you your first recruiting letter?

DK: It was Cornell my sophomore year.

NJ Hoops: There must have been some people along the way that helped you out in getting you the scholarship. Are there any people you want to thank?

DK: My parents for their support, Coach Boyle and Coach Chevannes at St. Pats and the players and supporters.

NJ Hoops: How does it feel to have the decision behind you?

DK: Relieving. Very relieving but exciting though.

NJ Hoops: You have had a great career in high school, camps, and AAU, are there any highlights that stand out?

DK: I would just say going out on top, winning the TOC as a senior. In my 4 years we won three of them but this year I was a starter.

NJ Hoops: How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

DK: 5-foot-9 and still growing, 155-160 lbs.

NJ Hoops: What would you say are your strengths and what would you say you had to continue to improve on?

DK: My strengths are my basketball IQ and ballhandling. I can work on shooting consistently.

NJ Hoops: Thanks and best wishes. It's good to see all the hard work pay off.

NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.786 seconds.   Total Queries: 13   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:22 PM