Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Congratulations Big Red!!        (Topic#10385)
penn62 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-27-05
03-22-10 07:38 AM - Post#79708    
    In response to pchrystie

better? hotter? huh?

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Congratulations Big Red!!
03-22-10 07:59 AM - Post#79710    
    In response to penn62

Notwithstanding my experience of receiving serious biting criticism from the curmudgeony Mr. C., his comment was so dripping with sarcasm that my computer stand is soaked.

Edited by palestra38 on 03-22-10 08:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-22-10 08:48 AM - Post#79711    
    In response to pchrystie

I'm still seething. Dartmouth was only 3 games away from beating its first round opponent, Kentucky, by 50.

Edited by penn nation on 03-22-10 08:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

Re: Congratulations Big Red!!
03-22-10 10:21 AM - Post#79717    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
Notwithstanding my experience of receiving serious biting criticism from the curmudgeony Mr. C., his comment was so dripping with sarcasm that my computer stand is soaked.

Speaking of criticizing you, are you still so adamant that Wittman and/or Foote couldn't find a spot on an NBA roster? If you are, you're still wrong.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-22-10 10:37 AM - Post#79719    
    In response to Howard Gensler

I'm sure Louis Dale is just happy he didn't have to face Harrison Gaines in either of the first two rounds.

penn62 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-27-05
03-22-10 10:57 AM - Post#79722    

I think the odds are against either one of them making it in the NBA(as good as they are). Also they could play in Europe instead of possibly sitting on an NBA bench and making the league minimum.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Press conference transcipts
03-22-10 11:04 AM - Post#79723    
    In response to Stuart Suss

You gotta love the transcripts of the opposing coaches for these games. Dunphy basically said that they came in planning to defend the three and figured Foote would get his. Didn't work. Wisconsin came in with the theory they would deny Foote. That doesn't seem to work either.

I assume Kentucky will just try to outscore them. One of the reasons I (incorrectly) thought Temple and Wisconsin were bad matchups for Cornell was b/c Cornell had seemed willing to let more deliberate teams set the pace (as they did with Princeton). But Cornell didn't play into their hands at all on that. Now, they get a game where I think it will be to Cornell's advantage to be more deliberate. It's a nearly impossible hill to climb, but if they can make Kentucky uncomfortable early, who knows? Maybe they can keep it close long enough for the experience difference (in Cornell's favor) to matter.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
03-22-10 11:26 AM - Post#79727    
    In response to SomeGuy

I didn't see much of the Temple game, but I was surprised how Wisconsin defended Cornell. No pressure and very little in the way of different looks to keep Cornell off balance. Cornell had a field day on offense.

Kentucky is way more athletic than Temple or Wisconsin, plus their bigs are active. I think Kentucky will wind up doing a better job defending Cornell and/or getting key Cornell players into foul trouble.

Still, if Cornell plays as well the past two games as they did this week then they can beat anyone.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
03-22-10 11:44 AM - Post#79730    
    In response to TheLine

Congratulations to the Cornell Big Red on two historic wins. The proof is in the accomplishment. Great job by everyone involved.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-22-10 12:15 PM - Post#79735    
    In response to Red n Blue

The two teams that beat Kentucky in the regular season didn't shoot the lights out from three. South Carolina was only 4-16 from beyond the arc won by attacking the basket - they were only 37% on 2-pt. FGA, but drew a lot of fouls and went 20-28 from the line.

Tennessee, meanwhile, also shot horribly from three - 6-25 - but made an incredible 22 of 24 2-pt. attempts.

A common factor in both games: Kentucky was horrible from three themselves. Overall, they're not a great perimeter shooting team.

Slowing them down or speeding them up didn't seem to matter - they average 70 possessions per game, and both games were at that pace. The SC game was 68 poss., Tennessee was right at 70.

Kentucky is a powerful offensive rebounding team, but even controlling that wasn't necessarily a key to beating them: SC won the off. reb. % war, Tennessee didn't (of course, when you're 22-24 from 2, there aren't a lot of your typical o. boards to get).

palestra38 
Professor

03-22-10 12:50 PM - Post#79740    
    In response to SomeGuy

If Penn had had Gaines, they might have swept the Big Red.

palestra38 
Professor

03-22-10 12:52 PM - Post#79741    

I don't recall exactly, but I thought I had said that while Wittman might make an NBA club with the right needs, he would not be drafted or be an everyday player. I thought he would be better off in Europe.

That being said, I have been extremely impressed with both Foote and Wittman and it shows that one should not overemphasize a single game in evaluating a player.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
03-22-10 06:17 PM - Post#79821    
    In response to palestra38

Taking a cursory look at UK's losses, it also seems that Cousins and (to a lesser extent) Wall got their points and gaudy stats, anyway. But when another Kansas player has a big game -- say, Patterson or Bledsoe -- then you're dead meat.

Defensively, if you're Cornell, I think you just have to focus on things/players you can actually control. Offensively, with Kentucky's athleticism, I think they'll have to hit a bunch of 3s off screens.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-22-10 07:45 PM - Post#79828    
    In response to gokinsmen

Cornell played incredibly well against Wisconsin. They were absolutely terrific across the board. I was surprised that Louis Dale was able to totally outclass the Wisconsin pg - but he did. John Wall may present a bigger challenge. When you play power conference teams, often pg play is determinative.

If Louis Dale can play with that same level of skill and with the same amount of poise he's shown so far in this tournament, Cornell will stay with Kentucky. If John Wall rattles him, Cornell could struggle.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
03-22-10 11:59 PM - Post#79891    
    In response to AsiaSunset

• AsiaSunset Said:
John Wall may present a bigger challenge.

Understatement of the year, heh. But yeah, I'm with you. Foote might be able to limit some of Cousins' damage, but Cornell -- like 99.9% of D-I teams -- doesn't really have an answer for John Wall. If they can force him into some bad passes and/or he has an off day with his jumper, I could see Cornell pulling off the ultra-upset. For instance, Sherron Collins had a terrible day from outside as did Scottie Reynolds when those juggernauts went out.

OzQuaker 
Sophomore

Loc: 10,000 miles from the Pal...
Reg: 02-26-09
03-23-10 02:32 AM - Post#79900    
    In response to gokinsmen

Kentucky has two monster big men. While Foote might limit some of Cousins' damage, Cornell will have trouble containing Patrick Patterson at the same time. I don't know whether Coury practised with Patterson when Coury was a Wildcat (and I couldn't be bothered finding out), however I suspect that would be a pretty one sided individual match-up regardless. Cornell's going to have to play great team defense (as they have been to date).

Edited by OzQuaker on 03-23-10 02:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

03-23-10 08:28 AM - Post#79910    
    In response to OzQuaker

Interestingly, it seems that if Cornell succeeds at doing what it has done well thus far, it has a chance, rather than needing to do something completely different. If Cornell continues to shoot 3s well, that will reduce Kentucky's running, at which, with Wall's athleticism, Ky is lethal. Then, if Cornell can continue to switch zones and play them effectively, that might reduce Wall's opportunities for driving to the basket and prompt more long shots, which, if they're not falling, would give Cornell a shot. I know, a lot of ifs, but still, not out of the realm of realistic possibility.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
03-26-10 09:06 AM - Post#80198    
    In response to Dr. V

Congrats Big Red on an historic season. Too bad there wasn't an easier opponent last night.

Okoro Dude 
Senior

Loc: Glen Mills, PA
Reg: 11-24-04
03-26-10 09:56 AM - Post#80205    
    In response to 10Q

Second the kudos for an amazing tournament and for hanging tough when they could have packed it in last night. CBS in Philly cutaway from the game just after halftime (can't blame them, the KSU-Xavier game was fantastic). As I watched the ticker, I couldn't believe that Kentucky wasn't scoring in the second half. If I have it right (and I might not), I think Cornell got it back to 40-34 with around 6 minutes left. That means they held Kentucky to 8 points in the first 14 minutes of the half! Since I didn't see it, I don't know where to give credit, but that is very impressive to cut that 16 point deficit methodically down to 6 when Cornell could have easily gotten blown out after the meltdown in the first half and when they clearly were struggling to score themselves in the second half.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
03-26-10 10:02 AM - Post#80208    
    In response to Okoro Dude

Congratulations to the Cornell Big Red! Both your season and your tournament play were worthy of and garnered national attention. Clearly the best performance by an Ivy Team in the last 30 years. Impressively, both of your tournament wins were decisive. All the best to Steve Donahue and the team.

And a special thanks for proving to doubters that an Ivy team can do some damage in the tournament!

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.169 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:53 PM