Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Gottleib rates Princeton season A        (Topic#10550)
Kit 
Senior

Loc: Central Massachusetts
Reg: 11-29-04
04-30-10 04:30 PM - Post#82678    

At the following link (an ESPN insider),Doug Gottlieb grades Cornell an A, Princeton an A, and Harvard and A-.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/s to...

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Gottleib rates Princeton season A
04-30-10 04:56 PM - Post#82680    
    In response to Kit

I realize these grades are relative to expectations, but an A is still too generous (I would say A- or B+). They lost to Brown and Army at home and were unable to split with Cornell. Not that these are marks of shame, but giving them the highest grade is a little careless/patronizing.

Meanwhile, I'd give Harvard the same grade as us considering their injuries, youth, and second straight win over BC (while hanging tough with UConn thanks to Lin).

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
05-11-10 02:09 PM - Post#83218    
    In response to gokinsmen

Split with Cornell would have merited an A+. Cornell was clearly the class of the league this year. The Army loss is pretty dreadful but also inconsquential. It was early in the season and out of the league. The Brown loss was problematic. But is it any worse than Cornell's loss to Penn? I guess if you put the Brown and Army losses together, it is a decent case for A-/B+ but I think at least the loss I saw to Cornell in Jadwin raises the grade. The results were as expected, but I felt Princeton played extremely well against the most successful Ivy team since 1978. Princeton's inability to win that game had more to do with Cornell's ability to grind out a game without showing their best rather than being a negative reflection on Princeton. And while Cornell was at their peak, I think Princeton should be a better team in the coming year.

I keep harping on the same thing though-- given Harvard's athleticism, their potential for dramatic improvement could be the greatest in the Ivies. I say that even with their best player graduating. I could be wrong though. I thought Glen Miller was a good hire at Penn.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
05-12-10 05:08 PM - Post#83271    
    In response to Red n Blue

Actually, I don't know if they were giving 'A+'s...an 'A' might have been the highest.

Anyway, despite having a far inferior team, the Tigers have just matched up well against Cornell this year and last and played them tough the past four times out. The fact is, both games this year were totally winnable, and even a split would have resulted in a playoff game. So I can't say I'm ecstatic (though I'm certainly satisfied) about this past season...and I doubt anyone on the team say so would either.

On the bright side, I'm already pumped to see what this team can do next season -- their CBI run showed some major progress (the IUPUI game especially).

P.S. For the record, with the Penn loss and lack of marquee wins, Cornell wouldn't have deserved the highest grade for their season...unless they won a game or two in the NCAAs. Which they did. And they won both games by large margins...hence the A mark.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.036 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:59 AM