Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: the list is out        (Topic#10683)
cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
07-02-10 11:59 AM - Post#84417    

http://www.gocolumbialions.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...

The list is out. It includes Lyles, Starks, Frankoski, Feldman, and Van Green.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
07-02-10 01:40 PM - Post#84423    
    In response to cc66

Huge upgrade for the Lions in the backcourt. Noruwa Agho must be very happy. All four of the new guards will compete with the returning players for playing time. Unless the veterans improve, two of the four newcomers are likely to start at guard if Smith goes with a three-guard offense. I'm assuming that Starks and Green will play the point, with Lyles and Frankoski at shooting guard.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
07-02-10 06:05 PM - Post#84425    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

My guess--since none of the incoming guards is a pure PG, most are combos at best, it will depend on who meshes best on the court with whom, and that won't be clear until formal practices.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

07-02-10 10:40 PM - Post#84430    
    In response to Dr. V

Agreed, although Starks and Green are the better athletes so I see them as the likely point guards. Lyles and Frankoski are outstanding shooters, but apparently neither one is a great athlete. Anyway, all four of the new guards can score which means that we might have a better shooting gang than last year. Also, its nice to know that Feldmann has added an inch to 6'9" which makes him our tallest forward.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
the list is out
07-03-10 03:34 AM - Post#84433    

Starks is my preseason FOY pick based the "talent + college-ready x available minutes" formula. Yeah, it's silly to make predictions this early, but I thought I'd throw it out there for kicks.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
07-03-10 09:51 AM - Post#84437    

Frankoski may not be a great athlete, but he is more athletic than perhaps some are expecting.

Starks, Green or one of the holdovers has to turn into a quality PG. Last year Columbia was a much better team at the beginning of the season when Foley was playing. Once Foley went down, so did the the team. No one seemed capable of running the point well in Foley's absence.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

07-03-10 11:08 AM - Post#84439    
    In response to TheLine

I've seen Frankoski play. Agree that he might not be a great athlete, but definitely more athletic than some/many may expect. Several different things to like about him in addition to a very good shot: he does everything else quite well, i.e., defend, bring the ball up, move without the ball; and, he is a worker who appears intent on improving.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

07-03-10 11:47 AM - Post#84440    
    In response to Dr. V

It is, of course, always preferable to have an effective PG. And if the other players are not very good at creating their own shots, the absence of an effective PG can be disastrous. However, if a team has a number of players who can create their own shot, as I believe we now have, one can get by with two combos playing together and sharing PG duties.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

07-03-10 03:04 PM - Post#84443    
    In response to Dr. V

Foley was great at penetrating and scoring, but not so great at bringing the ball upcourt or shooting from the outside. I remember a number of games where defenders like Louis Dale took the ball away from him rather easily by simply bumping him slightly. I have no idea if any of the newcomers are going to be an effective PG, but they all look quite promising. At the very least we know that we have two great athletes in Starks and Green, and two very good athletes In Frankoski and Lyles. Who knows? Maybe Coach Smith will start three of them and use the fourth guy as his top reserve.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
07-03-10 09:35 PM - Post#84450    

So with the start of the season just five months away, who's your starting five?

Roar 
Freshman

Reg: 12-10-04
07-03-10 10:45 PM - Post#84451    
    In response to cc66

Agho has to start...the only other returning backcourt player with a chance to start is Barbour at the point (and Smith has said he likes him and recruited him for St. Mary's), but it will probably end up (maybe after a few games) with Starks on the point and either Frankoski or Green alongside Agho. Lyles could also be in there, we just don't know enough yet. Interesting that the only recruit whose scoring average wasn't mentioned in the release is Starks, and he is the highest at around 28. But when was the last time we recruited 3 guards all over 20 ppg and a fourth at 18? Probably never.

Predicting the starting forwards is another story, with Grimes, Ampim, Cisco, Daniels, and Feldmann all in the mix. Feldmann at his newly revised height of 6'9" is the tallest, and may also be the best (the only All-Stater in the group), but he's new so he'll probably be worked in there bit by bit, if at all. Will Coach Smith go with a center in the starting line-up? May not be necessary, but if so, we know that will be Craig. One thing for sure, Smith will have plenty of options, and it will be fun to see how it all comes together. Other teams like Harvard, Princeton, snd maybe Yale will, I think, still have the edge in the bigs, so it will be our new, dynamic backcourt that carries us. Should be an exciting year.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

07-03-10 10:46 PM - Post#84452    
    In response to cc66

I haven't seen the freshman play and I have no idea whether Ampim and/or Grimes have recovered from their injuries, but what the heck: Max Craig will start at Center with Zack Crimmins and Marc Cisco in reserve. Either Asenso Ampim or Brian Grimes will start at forward, depending on who wants it more. If Ampim and Grimes can't solve their medical problems, thenJohn Daniels, Blaise Staab and Danny Feldmann will compete for the starting forward spot. There's also a chance that Coach Hartman will teach Crimmins or Cisco how to play forward. Noruwa Agho, will start, of course, at guard, along with Dyami Starks and either Van Green, Meiko Lyles or Steve Frankoski in Coach Smith's three guard offense. Brian Barbour and Steve Egee could start, but have to improve significantly to fight off the challenge from the four very promising freshmen. Matt Johnson and Chris Crockett will have a great opportunity to prove themselves under the new coach.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

07-03-10 11:10 PM - Post#84453    

And the final Ivy League standings in 2010-2011 will be: #1 Cornell; #2 Princeton; #3 Columbia; # 4 Penn; #5 Brown; #6 Yale; #7 Dartmouth. At this time,I'm not sure where to rank Harvard given the possibility that its admission Friday that it violated NCAA recruiting rules may lead to further sanctions by the NCAA or the Ivy League.

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
the list is out
07-04-10 01:16 AM - Post#84454    

Think for a second gentlemen. With a new coach in place, he will want invest in the long haul. Expect John Daniels and Cisco to be the starters. They are both only in their second year and already have out shot FG% wise bettr than the often injured seniors. Smith will also want to gel the freshman with the frontcourt that will there for the most years together.

The real mystery is what two guards play along side Agho. Van Green, Starks, Frankowski and Myles are all in the same boat in that none have proven themselves in college. It would be anyone's guess which 2 of the 4 play the best early on.

As for the 2 returning guards at PG in Egee and Barbour, neither has shown great abilities, yet perhaps one may have improved in the same way J.Miller did a few years back and surprise.

Either way, it's way too early to even guess at this point.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

07-04-10 09:34 AM - Post#84455    
    In response to skiba34

It's unanimous then, Agho + 4.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
07-06-10 04:37 PM - Post#84492    
    In response to Dr. V

Daniels, Cisco and Agho will start. Expect to see less minutes for Ampin and Grimes. Ditto the twin towers. Right now there are too many SGs and not enough PGs. The battle for the PG slot will be wide open for Barbour and Agee. We'll run a three guard offense. I like Starks as the seocnd SG. A new coach is not gong to invest any real time in playing a senior in the absence of a great, great pre-season effort.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

07-06-10 04:39 PM - Post#84493    
    In response to Chet Forte

PS, expect to see all of the marginal sophomores and juniors cut. We've had this debate before, but all of us seem to agree that we aren't going to have a 20 member squad. You just can't coach that many players. I think that 15 is about the upper limit.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

07-06-10 06:59 PM - Post#84499    

Keep in mind that four of the returning sophomore and junior guards (Crockett, Dhaliwel, Kowalski & Piscina) barely played last season. Crockett was a great high school running back in Ohio so you have to hope that he can make an impact in basketball or football at Columbia. The head coaching switch seems to afford him a great opportunity to show his stuff. Or maybe he will try football. Who knows? Also, up front, Mase was injured most of the season and Ampim, Craig and Grimes for part of the season. I assume that the four returning guards are more vulnerable than the four injured frontcourt players, because there are many more guards than frontcourt players on the team. Craig seemed to be almost 100% at the end of the season, so I'm not too worried about him. Same with Grimes as I recall his late season injury was not a knee injury. I have no idea why Ampim has missed so much playing time the last two years. Does anyone know? Certainly, Coach Smith has to be wary of relying too much on him.

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
07-07-10 12:47 AM - Post#84507    

• Chet Forte Said:
Daniels, Cisco and Agho will start. Expect to see less minutes for Ampin and Grimes. Ditto the twin towers. Right now there are too many SGs and not enough PGs. The battle for the PG slot will be wide open for Barbour and Agee. We'll run a three guard offense. I like Starks as the seocnd SG. A new coach is not gong to invest any real time in playing a senior in the absence of a great, great pre-season effort.

Agree with above 100%

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

07-07-10 02:01 PM - Post#84516    
    In response to skiba34

I don't think that Crockett is going to be able to make the switch to football at this point. Coach Wilson seems set at the running back position with Ivery, Kourouma and Gerst, for starters, plus a few outstanding incoming players. I understand that Crockett was being heavily recruited as a running back until a season ending injury forced him to concentrate on basketball. I never did understand why Crockett wasn't given more of a chance last year. He impressed me with his athleticism and ball handling skills when he got minutes at garbage time.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.933 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:54 AM