Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn Report Card....Ugly, but We'll Take It        (Topic#107)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
12-02-04 02:46 AM - Post#459    

Looked like a continuation of the Drexel game in the first half tonight, before Penn went cold, made some ugly ugly turnovers and let Bucknell believe. However, the lead never went below 9 and Penn won going away. Ibby had his finest game of the year, doing exactly what the faithful have expected of him and completely disrupting Bucknell's offensive flow. He had 7 steals and deflected numerous passes. Danley played equally well inside----those who have thought Penn would suffer from the loss of Chubb have to watch this guy. His defensive footwork as a sophomore is far better than Chubb ever achieved and he has offensive moves with a man between him and the basket...again, something Chubb never learned. McNaughton scored 20 on Penn last year---he was invisible tonight and drew 4 fouls trying to defend Danley and a fired up Pettinella. IF Penn had only shot well from the outside, this would have been a 30 point win....we will take the 13. Individual grades:

Ibby---A. Against guards who are better than Ivy norm, he dominated. Whatever he did on offense is a plus. Great game for Ibby.

Danley---A. Dominated McNaughton on both offense and defense. Hits ALL his foul shots---a much improved player this year.

Begley---B. Hit only a couple of shots and didn't have his most solid game. However, he settled the team down, essentially playing point when Oz was ineffective early in the second half and was important in turning the game back around.

Pettinella---B+. Very active on offense....unstoppable by Bucknell's front line---dove all over the court and showed great hustle. Took a few bad fouls....best game of the year so far.

Fikiel---B. Hit a few BIG shots, did little else. That is his role with this team....played a few more minutes than I would like but Zoller was in foul trouble. Made a brutal drop of an easy rebound when Bucknell was making its run that turned into a 3 point play.

Oz---B-. Hit 2 straight 3s in a 10-0 run in the first half and that was it. Bucknell ran at him in the second half and he quickly got into foul trouble. Penn struggled without him in the game, however, so it is important that he avoid some of the hand check fouls he got.

Kach---B-. He has a tendency of forcing shots that seems to be diminishing his playing time. Needs to get under better control.

Zoller---B-. Got into foul trouble and had a limited contribution tonight.

seas2k4 
Junior

Re: Penn Report Card....Ugly, but We'll Take It
12-02-04 04:09 AM - Post#460    
    In response to palestra38

Well done, as always, P38. I think Ryan has to get an A, and was glad to see him have his, by far, best game of the year. We probably shot in the low 30%s tonight and still handled a top-tier Patriot team... nice win.

-seas

Anonymous 

12-02-04 04:34 AM - Post#461    
    In response to palestra38

A little Harvard grade inflation but not too many disagreements. This was a very solid defensive effort. Except for a stretch of sloppy 2nd half play and a pair of garbage time threes, Penn would have held Bucknell to 45 (and that's with Fikiel and a hobbled Zoller).

My only problem was the second half subbing (the first half was OK although Ebede should have come in a little earlier and played five minutes instead of two). In a game you're up 18 at the half that never gets closer than 9 (and only gets as close as 9 because the guys are dragging) Begley can't handle the ball and be the only consistent long range threat and the coach on the floor AND play 39 minutes. He did it tonight (no back-to-back games, thankfully) and the team won by 13 but this was a 25-point win if Penn could get a little more out of its bench (even if its bench just buys time for the starters to rest).

If Ebede is unable to play in the second half of a double-digit game, wouldn't his two first half minutes be better used with Kach or Whitehurst? At some point in the season, Penn is going to need a fourth perimeter player to do something in the second half of a game - up 15 or more seems a good time to see whom it might be.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
The worst turnover of the game. . .
12-02-04 05:00 AM - Post#462    
    In response to

The worst turnover of the game was by Palestra 38 himself. He was thrown a t-shirt by the cheerleaders, and had it pop out of his hands in a manner reminiscent of Abe Okorodudu, humiliating his two daughters and all fans in the north stands who watched this happen.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-02-04 11:22 AM - Post#463    
    In response to

Howard - I agree, but let's not get greedy. It's a 9 man rotation even if we think Tim would do better with more rest.

I'm listening to games, but it seems like Fran has really adjusted to these guys. I sense a lot more freedom on the court, specifically a willingness to take the shot when it presents itself.

I thought it's really a good sign that Oz started taking some shots and I think Fikiel should take that jumper whenever he gets a good look, even the three (he made 150 3 pointers as a senior in hs). Teams will focus on Begley, just like they did with Schif last year. I think playing a lot of guys, balanced scoring and shooting early in the shot clock are keys. It pushes pace, opens up a lot of O rebounding opportunities etc.

You're watching and I'm not, but I sense a change and my gut tells me it will be a good thing for this group.

On the radio, a good shot is one that goes in. A bad shot is one early in the shot clock that doesn't. I think it's more complex.

On the Begley thing - let's face it - he's a stabilizing factor and Fran trusts him. He's uncomfortable when Tim isn't on the court. That's understandable. There has been lots of change this year. This one probably will remain a constant.

Fran may go bald with this group by the end of the year, but let's all recognize that he seems to be coaching to their strengths. I'm pretty happy so far.

Buckeye Quake 
PhD Student

Re: The worst turnover of the game. . .
12-02-04 11:50 AM - Post#464    
    In response to Stuart Suss

Yawn.

Anonymous 

Re: The worst turnover of the game. . .
12-02-04 12:52 PM - Post#465    
    In response to Stuart Suss

Quote:

The worst turnover of the game was by Palestra 38 himself. He was thrown a t-shirt by the cheerleaders, and had it pop out of his hands in a manner reminiscent of Abe Okorodudu, humiliating his two daughters and all fans in the north stands who watched this happen.

That's pretty weak, considering that you guys sit in like the 5th row.

palestra38 
Professor

12-02-04 12:52 PM - Post#466    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I think the thing to be happiest about is the team defense. When the starters were on the court (and yes, that includes Jan), Bucknell really struggled to find shots inside or out. Indeed, for the entire game, Penn dominated inside---a very very good sign for the teams it must beat in the Ivy League as it is consistent with the team's play against Drexel and Quinnipiac. As long as the other team is not overly tall and athletic, Penn has guys who can both defend and score. Moreover, Ibby has now shown that he can disrupt the play of the other team's point guards. All that is missing is consistent outside shooting, but the ability of Danley, Pettinella and Zoller to score inside increases the ability to get easier outside shots.

Anonymous 

12-02-04 01:53 PM - Post#467    

A 9 man rotation would be OK if that's what we were getting. What we're seeing is the sub minutes drop from the start of the season.
Last night starters: 39, 36, 31, 30, 22
Subs: 15, 13, 8, 2
That's not a 9-man rotation.
Bucknell's minutes: 38, 29, 21, 19, 19, 19, 17, 12, 12, 9, 3
That's a 10-man rotation in case you're wondering why they looked like they had the fresher legs in the second half. Their guys just aren't as good as Penn's.

And since you got me started...
Drexel Game:
Penn: 36, 34, 29, 27, 9 / 32, 12, 11, 5
Drexel: 33, 30, 30, 27, 19 / 23, 9, 8, 8, 6

Wisconsin Game:
(Penn plays its best rotation against the team that has a super 10-man rotation.)
Penn: 36, 29, 26, 23, 16 / 14, 13, 12, 11, 11
Wisconsin: 29, 28, 28, 27, 19 / 20, 15, 13, 10, 9

Providence game:
Penn: 28, 26, 22, 22, 21 / 18, 16, 15, 12
Providence: 35, 34, 33, 22, 14 / 16, 15, 15, 9
(Welsh wears out starters in blow out before punishing road trip. Hello Winthrop!)

Qpac game:
Penn: 38, 35, 28, 21, 13 / 26, 19, 15, 5
Qpac: 40, 34, 28, 19, 14 / 31, 16, 10, 5, 3

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-02-04 04:11 PM - Post#468    
    In response to

With Tim getting 39 minutes, you'll never get enough time for Fred. Nevertheless, I think there is a commitment to use him in spots. Jan probably played a bit more than average, but Zoller had foul trouble and was playing with a sore ankle.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

12-02-04 04:18 PM - Post#469    

When was the last time Dunphy used his bench to the best of its abilities? This is my sixth season as a ticket holder, and I'm still waiting....

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.225 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:59 AM