Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: 2010-11 recruiting        (Topic#10711)
TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
07-21-10 09:34 AM - Post#84980    

Anyone closer to the program have any news?

I found some write-ups and vids of Evan Maschmeyer, a possible recruit. It sounds like he's heard from pretty much the entire league.

Evan visited Cornell in the spring yet doesn't show up on BRF's recruiting target list so he is probably a priority 'get' for Cornell. He supposedly visited or will visit other Ivies (Columbia, Penn, Harvard) in the summer. He also is hearing from a number of Midwest mid-majors

Based on the video he seems to have decent size for a guard, with sound instincts on defense and ability to slash and dish. He is seen hitting a number of 3's but doesn't keep his hands high; he has more of a shot-put motion.

Some articles from his local paper:
http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/search/labe...

YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kBZcf8LmUw

skiba34 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-11-06
Re: 2010-11 recruiting
07-21-10 01:42 PM - Post#85007    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:

Based on the video he seems to have decent size for a guard, with sound instincts on defense and ability to slash and dish. He is seen hitting a number of 3's but doesn't keep his hands high; he has more of a shot-put motion.

I'd say this is a good description. Doesn't look very fast but does look strong and has good size at 6'4... kind of reminds me a Bulger a bit. hopefully can shoot much better than Bulger of course.

Combo guard is a good description. Did look like he plays against some good competition which is always good.

skiba34 
Masters Student

2010-11 recruiting
07-21-10 01:45 PM - Post#85008    
    In response to skiba34

Another thought, with all the incoming guards and with Ampim, Grimes, Crimmins, and Graig all seniors, I would think a forward and Center to be a huge priority and Columbia needs at least 2 next year. Hope to hear some news on that.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
07-22-10 12:46 AM - Post#85041    
    In response to skiba34

Several big men have already been named publicly as being interested in Columbia. I assume that Coach Smith will have his guys lined up in the next few months. However, the funny thing right now in Ivy League recuriting is that Harvard seems to have extended offers to numerous players. You will remember that Harvard promised the NCAA that it would impose restraints on its recruiting this year because it committed "inadvertent violations." What a joke.

TheLine 
Professor

08-03-10 10:12 AM - Post#85438    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Two more names on Columbia's radar. Both are also on Cornell's radar as well.

Collin Woods : super athletic combo guard from AZ, also is getting looks from a number of majors out west. Rated 90 in ESPN. Woods would be quite a coup but there will be a lot of competition for him.

Jack Ryan : Solid PF/SF tweener from Chicago suburbs. Also looking at a number of midwestern mid-majors.

Jack Ryan blurb from Illinois Prep Bullseye:

Ryan gets somewhat overshadowed playing on a Rising Stars Gold team that also features a number of other D1 prospects, but there is no question in our mind that he would be an ideal prospect for any school in the Ivy League, Horizon League or program at a comparable level. While we see Ryan primarily as a 3 man, he is also capable of seeing time at the 4 in given situations. That is because although he doesn't have a strong frame, he is hard-nosed, extremely active around the basket and more athletic than he is given credit for. He has also shown the ability to face up and knock down shots along the baseline and from the wing. It is now only a matter of fine-tuning and consistency, but Ryan undoubtedly has considerable up side.

Roar 
Freshman

Reg: 12-10-04
08-03-10 07:07 PM - Post#85465    
    In response to TheLine

Woods has at least 13 offers, with the biggest so far probably being Arizona St. and Colorado, plus Cornell and Columbia in the Ivies. One website says his recruiter for Columbia is Kyle Smith, so it will be interesting to see if Smith can land him.

lawgun7772 
Freshman

Reg: 07-18-06
08-04-10 11:58 AM - Post#85476    
    In response to Roar

Ryan is from the same high school as Bulger. His older bother was Bulger's teammate, and is in a redshirt fifth year on the Northwestern team due to an injury last year. His father played for Stanford. He would be a great get for Columbia, IMO.

Roar 
Freshman

08-04-10 06:58 PM - Post#85487    
    In response to lawgun7772

Jack Ryan also a rising hip-hop artist...check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GpHSqS5qXk&a mp;fea...

In basketball, was rated #4 junior in north suburban Chicago area.

Roar 
Freshman

08-04-10 07:03 PM - Post#85488    
    In response to Roar

PS. Ryan known as "J-Fresh" in rap world.
Interview here with some court action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC2BF8uvsSg

New York City calls this recording, dunking star.

TheLine 
Professor

08-06-10 05:56 PM - Post#85592    
    In response to Roar

Another potential recruit: Skylar Scrivano 6'9" PF

He graduated HS in 2010 but is taking a prep year.

http://www.suburbanonesports.com/content/scrivano-...

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
08-09-10 03:06 PM - Post#85639    
    In response to TheLine

Thanks for the infor on Scrivano. Is he taking his prep year at the Hun School? Has he expressed interest in attending Columbia? Incidentally, Columbia Football has an outstanding player coming in from the Hun School this fall.

At least 25 players have been named publicly so far by the two major recruiting services (Rivals and Scout) & in basketball blogs, as being interested in attending Columbia next year, but apparently only two or three have been offered. It will be interesting who becomes Coach Smith's first commitment.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
08-09-10 05:03 PM - Post#85643    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

I know you Columbia guys hate it when Penn guys chime in, but can you please stop saying "offered"? It's bad enough that the sports media keeps referring to Ivy League scholarships and offers, but do we have to use that incorrect terminology also?

The Ivy League does not give offers. Athletes have to apply to school and get accepted and get financial aid packages. And while coaches can give athletes an idea as to their package or admissibility, they can't give offers.

Also, depending where you're getting this "offer" info from it may be complete nonsense. I've seen Rivals and Scout list kids with Penn that the Penn coaches had never heard of.

Thank you for your time and good cheer.

skiba34 
Masters Student

2010-11 recruiting
08-09-10 08:32 PM - Post#85648    
    In response to Howard Gensler

I have no problem with the term "offer" even if the Ivies are void of athletic scholarships simply because any coach who really wants a player can get a far better "financial package" than the typical student getting in.

Also potential student-athletes have a better chance of clearing admissions with a lower qualifying (GPI? I forget what they call it)than the typical student. Although there are other intangibles involved.

By the letter of the law, there are no offers, but by spirit there is.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

08-09-10 08:46 PM - Post#85650    
    In response to skiba34

• skiba34 Said:
I have no problem with the term "offer" even if the Ivies are void of athletic scholarships

But you should take issue with the Rivals/Scout reporting mechanism, since the information is delivered by players and HS/AAU coaches not schools.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

08-09-10 09:01 PM - Post#85651    
    In response to skiba34

• skiba34 Said:
I have no problem with the term "offer" even if the Ivies are void of athletic scholarships simply because any coach who really wants a player can get a far better "financial package" than the typical student getting in.

Also potential student-athletes have a better chance of clearing admissions with a lower qualifying (GPI? I forget what they call it)than the typical student. Although there are other intangibles involved.

By the letter of the law, there are no offers, but by spirit there is.

I'm glad you have no problem with it but it's a completely inaccurate representation of what's happening. When the recruiting sites speak of an offer from a scholarship school, it implies that if the student-athlete accepts the offer a scholarship and admission is virtually GUARANTEED and if the athlete accepts the offer they are obligated to attend that school. None of that is true in the Ivies.

So even if an Ivy athlete can get in with a lower AI than a non-athlete and might be able to get a better fin aid package, explain to me what an "offer" from an Ivy coach means in the August before their senior years start.

Perhaps more importantly, when you see in Rivals or Scout that so-and-so has offers from Wagner, Rider, Vanderbilt, Miss. St., Bowling Green and Columbia, the word "offer" means absolutely nothing.

In the Ivies you can get a commitment without ever making an offer.

TheLine 
Professor

08-09-10 09:18 PM - Post#85653    

We all know what the term "offer" means relative to the Ivies. Let's move on.

37P6 - I don't know 100% that Scrivano is taking a prep year, but he seems to be. If he is prepping I don't know where.

I found only one source that linked Scrivano to Columbia. It was not Scout or Rival or ESPN. Maybe the source knows something or maybe someone on Coach Smith's staff was seen taking in an AAU game in which Scrivano was playing and inferred interest. I have no idea what Columbia's level of interest is in Scrivano or vica versa. Scrivano is a good student and doesn't appear to be getting major or high mid-major interest so it's plausible that he is on Columbia's radar.

I'd prefer to post when there is more evidence of reciprocal interest - like in the case of Jack Ryan - but then there would be less to post and speculate about. Unfortunately Columbia doesn't have the same rumor mill noise level as Penn and Harvard.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
08-09-10 10:36 PM - Post#85657    

Asia Sunset's subject, "Penn bags 1st bb commitment" didn't mention the gender (F). And, the story says,
"...St. John Vianney senior point guard Jackie Kates, a first team All-Shore selection last season, has made a nonbinding commitment ..."

We all have to be more precise!!!
west coast fan

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

08-10-10 09:55 AM - Post#85661    
    In response to internetter

Hey - I said bags - not shags.

Tons of kids have verballed to Ivies this summer in various sports. But - Howard is right to be cautious about Rivals and Scout, especially their basketball reporting. A lot of the so called offers aren't solid. It's just an expression of interest. Many are claimed by kids who would only be considered in the end if others ahead of them in the queue decide to go elsewhere.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
2010-11 recruiting
08-10-10 12:19 PM - Post#85665    
    In response to AsiaSunset

No doubt there's a difference between bags and shags...which I don't know! If something is in the bag, it's a done deal, no?

Then, there's the teaser of "Penn bags 1st bb commitment."
west coast fan

TheLine 
Professor

09-18-10 09:13 AM - Post#86625    
    In response to internetter

Coming off the heels of Skylar Scrivano, here's another name - Collin Woods.

http://mslacat.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/bobcat-rec ...

He's more of a long shot as he is receiving quite a lot of interest, but it sounds like we have a chance.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.185 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:14 AM