Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 9 « First<4567>» Last
Username Post: Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits        (Topic#10838)
gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
11-03-10 01:27 AM - Post#88163    
    In response to puband09

True. I bet you, though, in this interweb age of ours, Hubert and his family are conscious of this stuff and would have to do "damage control" even if Hubert was leaning heavily towards Maryland. You want to keep your options open and other schools interested. No one but Hubert really knows anything, I suppose.

Can't wait till Ian Hummer is buzzing on Twitter: "Pretty sure my man Des is taking his talents to Nassau!"

(...I'm kidding for the record)

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Re: Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
11-03-10 03:07 PM - Post#88184    
    In response to gokinsmen

From a Baltimore Sun blog (i.e. U-Maryland homer) so take with Fox News-like caution:

• Quote:
“Princeton’s on a little bit of a different platform right now,” said [Hubert's coach], who noted that Hubert needs to improve his ACT score to attend the Ivy League school. “That’s a different choice, going fully toward academics and kind of sacrificing a little bit of the basketball fame you could get playing in the ACC, I think, on a nightly basis.

• Quote:
"[Hubert] made an official visit to Wake Forest earlier this month, and has been on the Princeton and Villanova campuses several times over the past few years...All five schools bring something unique to the table."

• Quote:
Hubert had a monster junior season for New Egypt, averaging 16.2 points, 10.8 rebounds and 9.1 blocks....He has a seven-foot wingspan and about a 33-inch vertical.

On one hand, I'm concerned that his ACT issues might dampen his enthusiasm. On the other hand, the fact that he's still visited multiple times, included Princeton in his Final Five (you only get five official visits), and is making his official this weekend suggests that he is legit serious about considering the Tigers.

From the interviews I've seen, he seems like a good, bright guy (and they say he does well in the classroom, too). I'm sure he can get his ACT up once the decision is made and he has time/energy to focus on test prep. I don't think SJ and Co. wouldn't be wasting time if they didn't think he could. Also, since it's an Ivy, he can easily decommit and take a BCS offer if it turns out he couldn't get the score.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-09-09
11-05-10 01:40 PM - Post#88269    
    In response to gokinsmen

Now this is a dumb NCAA rule:

“We sent recruiting mail out in color on plain white paper,” McCaffery said. “If it was on letterhead it would have been legal. If it was in black and white on plain white paper it would have been legal. But since it was in color on plain white paper it was a violation and we self-reported. So that’s the extent of my transgressions with the NCAA, but it gives you an idea of what we deal with. We called it the ‘Color Paper Caper.’”

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
11-05-10 07:17 PM - Post#88285    
    In response to cornellfan4

I can vaguely sense the reasoning behind that...which makes it all the more funny.

Speaking of silly arbitrariness, Hubert has been demoted from ESPNU's Top 100, from 4 stars to 3, and his rating cut from 95 to 91. No reason given. Meanwhile, Andre Hollins has jumped into the Top 100 and given an extra star (for signing with Minnesota, I guess?).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba ll/recruit...

Not that it makes any difference to my excitement or his elite status (Hubert's offer sheet and videos speak for themselves).

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

11-05-10 07:41 PM - Post#88288    
    In response to gokinsmen

That might be a good sign for you, maybe that means it is more likely he will end up at Princeton

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
11-05-10 11:47 PM - Post#88293    
    In response to gokinsmen

Why do you suppose that is? Do you think the sports media/super conference establishment could never let a low/mid-major recruit be a top 100 player? Or is it because people decided his offense sucks over summer?

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

11-05-10 11:56 PM - Post#88294    
    In response to puband09

ESPN probably just thought Hollins was going to Harvard and the only way that could happen is that he was not good enough for the other schools to want him. ESPN figures Harvard could not possibly beat out any BCS school if the BCS school really wants the guy so they keep the evaluation low. When Hollins committed to Minn, ESPN realized he was as good as they originally thought because Minn really wanted him.

My thought is that ESPN thinks is that if a guy is really a top 100 player then he shouldnt be going to Harvard/other mid/low majors

As far as Hubert maybe they just need someone to move to make room for Hollins in the top 100

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
11-07-10 01:50 AM - Post#88317    

I'm fine with guys being moved up and down the Top 100 -- they should be. With more information, you should reevaluate rankings.

But if you're gonna downgrade a recruit's actual talent ratings (four to three stars, from elite BCS to elite mid-major), you owe the recruit and your readers an explanation, if only a quick one sentence bit -- e.g. "Hubert's offense has not improved as quickly as expected." Unfortunately, I'm guessing philly's explanation is closer to the actual reason he's been downgraded and Hollins upgraded.

Whatever. The only reason I posted about this was in case Princeton pulls off a Hail Mary and nabs Hubert. That way, you'll be ready for BRF's inevitable: "No, Hubert is NOT a Top 100 or four-star recruit. Neither Princeton nor Harvard have ever signed an ESPN or Rivals.com Top 100."

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
11-07-10 11:20 AM - Post#88322    
    In response to gokinsmen

FWIW, Wes Saunders is in the Rivals Top 100. I also think he's in the top 150 of Hoop Scoop, which used to be a BRF go-to ranking system.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-07-10 03:58 PM - Post#88328    
    In response to mrjames

Why do we give a sh** what the ratings services say as long as the coaches like them and they can play??????

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

11-07-10 08:21 PM - Post#88334    
    In response to Tiger69

Because if we ever want to get land a super-elite talent and regularly compete with top BCS programs, things like this can help knock down that mental hurdle. Silly though it may be.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

11-07-10 08:24 PM - Post#88335    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
FWIW, Wes Saunders is in the Rivals Top 100. I also think he's in the top 150 of Hoop Scoop, which used to be a BRF go-to ranking system.

Oh, okay. Thanks for that info. Although, based on his offers and what I've read, I'm not sure Saunders belongs with the truly elite talents.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
11-07-10 09:19 PM - Post#88337    
    In response to gokinsmen

It appears that he's among those 100 to 200 prospects who are good enough to get BCS interest and offers, but who don't have exclusively BCS lists and who aren't guaranteed to get PT as a frosh/soph and be starters by jr/sr year. Usually those are the guys starting at the fringe of the top 100 list.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
11-07-10 09:47 PM - Post#88339    
    In response to mrjames

That's a good way to put it. He's a tremendous pickup either way. It's just that someone like Hollins or Hubert looks to be on that next level where truly elite begins (where they can plan on Europe/Asia and dream of NBA).

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

11-08-10 07:41 PM - Post#88388    
    In response to gokinsmen

Well, well now...the Princeton staff & I seem to be on the same page!

http://www.princetonbasketball.com/?p=2729

• Quote:
There was a special guest at Princeton practice over the weekend, former Tiger center Chris Young.

Hubert supposedly made his official visit this past weekend -- I don't think it's a coincidence.

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
11-08-10 07:54 PM - Post#88389    
    In response to gokinsmen

I thought the exact same thing! Hubert's decision should be coming soon. Hopefully he's working on that ACT score.

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

11-08-10 09:11 PM - Post#88391    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
Well, well now...the Princeton staff & I seem to be on the same page!

http://www.princetonbasketball.com/?p=2729

• Quote:
There was a special guest at Princeton practice over the weekend, former Tiger center Chris Young.

Hubert supposedly made his official visit this past weekend -- I don't think it's a coincidence.

I thought that was an NCAA violation???

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

11-08-10 09:20 PM - Post#88392    

From what I understand:

"Here's Chris Young." --> Violation

"Do you want to meet Chris Young?" --> Okay
"Sure."

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-08-10 09:33 PM - Post#88395    
    In response to gokinsmen

And the intent doesn't matter?

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
11-09-10 05:36 AM - Post#88410    
    In response to Old Bear

As mrjames explained, you can talk about the program and your experience...but not actively recruit. If that sounds silly, pointless, impossible and/or unenforceable then it must be an accurate description of most NCAA recruiting guidelines.

With the exception of something obvious like bribes, it seems as if there's a sea of gray.

Page 4 of 9 « First<4567>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.193 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:47 AM